• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

BT width between the rails

I am about to start sizing the top cabinet for my BT base. IIRC the exact measurement between the rails is 22 7/16".

The question I have for others that have done this is can I make the base this exact width? There is plenty of clearance for the fence on the front but it looks very tight on the back rail. I am wondering if I should make the cabinet slightly undersized and then shim out the gap to the correct width when I attach the back rails leaving some clearance for the fence to slide clear of the back of the cabinet and top.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • Habe
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

I would go slightly undersize and then shim to fit. That would be a lot easier then trying to shave off an 1/8th inch to get the fence to clear. And it will be at the rear so not very noticable.
    Habe

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

The fence does require a bit of clearance between the rear of your table and the inside of the back of the fence. I solved this by shimming with a hardwood strip 3/8" or so thick.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• RayintheUK
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by poolhound
        I am about to start sizing the top cabinet for my BT base. IIRC the exact measurement between the rails is 22 7/16".

The question I have for others that have done this is can I make the base this exact width?
        That's exactly what I did. There are different spacings between rail and cabinet, front and rear, as these pics show:

However, if you're at all worried that you won't get the dimensions correct, then under is shimmable, whereas over means "start again"!

Ray
        Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by RayintheUK
          That's exactly what I did. There are different spacings between rail and cabinet, front and rear, as these pics show:

However, if you're at all worried that you won't get the dimensions correct, then under is shimmable, whereas over means "start again"!

Ray
          Ray,

The front pic is flush but the back does have a gap, what is creating that gap did you use a shim or is it the fixings you used?
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

Working...