• Dec 2008

Help with joinery.

I will soon begin this
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tv2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	793530
    Will be my first real furniture project and the design has me scratching my head coming up with the joinery.

Using Walnut for everything but the panels which will be Walnut ply.

First piece will be the tv stand. I am changing the legs to 1.5"x1.5 and am thinking simple dadoes in the legs and runners for the side and back panels. Bottom will sit in a rabbit and the top will be screwed to triangles set in each corner. Legs to rails will be mortice and tenon. Seperators for the shelving will be set in dados.
    Does this sound right?
    Any suggestions are appreciated.
  • SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by Scoly2803
    I will soon begin this
    [ATTACH]12695[/ATTACH]
    Will be my first real furniture project and the design has me scratching my head coming up with the joinery.

Using Walnut for everything but the panels which will be Walnut ply.

First piece will be the tv stand. I am changing the legs to 1.5"x1.5 and am thinking simple dadoes in the legs and runners for the side and back panels. Bottom will sit in a rabbit and the top will be screwed to triangles set in each corner. Legs to rails will be mortice and tenon. Seperators for the shelving will be set in dados.
    Does this sound right?
    Any suggestions are appreciated.
    I am building a computer desk-hutch with a base modified from a Stickley hunt-board which looks very similar to your center base. I will compare how I did the base to your base just for fun.

"am thinking simple dadoes in the legs and runners for the side and back panels"...

I used dadoes in the legs and runners to accept the panels.

"Bottom will sit in a rabbit"...

My cabinet bottoms sit in a rabbet.

"the top will be screwed to triangles set in each corner"...

My top will have table fastners all around the perimeter to mesh in a dado cut there to accept them. This allows expansion. If I get any bow in the center up.. I can tie it down with a hidden runner that runs under the top attached to the base at both ends. But.. only tie down in the center to allow top expansion toward the outside. The table fastners will only lip their dado so the top can move out and in.

"Legs to rails will be mortice and tenon"....

My leg to stretchers are mortise and tenon.

"Separators for the shelves will sit in dadoes"...

My separators wil sit in blind dadoes...

"Any suggestions"?

Nope...

Good luck....

Seperators for the shelving

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

I think the whole thing can be done with frame and panel construction with 4/4 stock. Use cope and stick joinery. The tops should be attached to each case to allow for movement. The inner bottom shelves should also be in a dado to allow movement. If your stock matches closely enough you can join the sides and the face frame with a combination rabbet and dado joint. Rabbet the side front stiles and dado the front stiles. Size the side stiles so that once glued to the front you will have the same width of board showing. So if your front stile is 3" wide by 3/4" thick make the side stile 2 5/8" wide including a 3/8" rabbet out of 3/4" thick stock. The bottom will have the appearance of a 3" square block from two sides. You could always glue up additional off cut pieces to make it a box. This is the way I joined my curio cabinet. From more than a few feet away it looks like each corner was one solid piece. Just food for thought.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Scoly2803
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2008

Thanks!
        Really appreciate the time and effort to help.
        Steve

Comment

Working...