• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

A safe idea or no?

I have a small collection of exotic scaps that was given to me. They range from six to twelve inches. I would like to plane some bits down to use in some small projects. Hand planing isn't really an option at this point in time. My idea is to create a sled from a length of 2x6( I would "kerf" out an area for the exotic), hold it in place with wedges, and run the whole deal through my planer. What do you think, will this work?
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Don't see why not, I would step back and to the side when it went through though.

Bill..
    it's not really dangerous to you if someone else is doing it.....

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I don't know why it would not be safe. I've used a sled to flatten warped stock on a planer. I would use hot melt glue to reinforce the wedges. Also go slow and set the planer to take small bites.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I've done it by just using a 3/4" piece of MDF.. apply double sided carpet tape to that and then apply the scrap after butt jointing the ends together. If the stock has an out of square end.. I do cross-cut the end square so they do butt together with no major gap.

Good luck however you tackle it....

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

If you want to get really safe, you could mill some other species to about the same dimensions as the workpiece, and then place them end-to-end in the kerf of the carrier.

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

Working...