• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Router airflow

I am building my router into a cabinet under my BT extension table. The width is fixed to the distance between the rails (22 7/16) and I wanted to leave room either side of the router dust collection space for storage.

I wondered if anybody felt I should leave a minimum volume of space around the router for airflow and cooling purposes or can I simply select whatever physical dimensions make sense for my construction.

Here is a very simple diag of what I mean.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

You can use whatever dimensions make sense for your design. Any small-ish enclosure around the router will require positive airflow through it to keep the router from overheating, and changing the dimensions a few inches either way isn't going to make a significant difference.

If you build the box approximately the same size as your insert plate, the plate will automatically have good support all the way around. This should also provide adequate room to get your hand in there and onto the variable-speed control (on my table, I reach in through the 4" dust port, after removing the hose which has a quick-disconnect slip fitting on its end).
    Larry

Comment

• shoottx
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • Plano, Texas
      • BT3000

Jon

I think the box design will be dictated by several issues; space to set up the router, dust collection and airflow.

If you plan to do all of your adjustment and bit changing from the top, you won't need much space. But what are your plans for dust collection in the box?

I have found I get almost as much dust in the box as I do out of the top. If you are drawing air through the box to collect dust you will have enough air flow to cool the router.
      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Even if you didn't have airflow through that space, I think you'd have to run the thing pretty long for it to overheat.

And, like the others, I assume you'll have a DC port somewhere in that box. So heat is not an issue.

What you should consider, though, is the airflow for good dust collection so the box doesn't fill up with chips. I filled in some corners of my router compartment to help with that. Also, some folks worry about pulling dust-laden air through the motor of their router. I don't, but perhaps I'll be sorry one day.

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by shoottx
          Jon

I think the box design will be dictated by several issues; space to set up the router, dust collection and airflow.

If you plan to do all of your adjustment and bit changing from the top, you won't need much space. But what are your plans for dust collection in the box?

I have found I get almost as much dust in the box as I do out of the top. If you are drawing air through the box to collect dust you will have enough air flow to cool the router.
          I just ordered a Woodpecker Quick Lift so all bit changeswill be from above YAY!

I intend to run some PVC pipe into the lower back right corner. Not sure on size yet but intent to T it outside to the DC hose that will run to the fence. They will probably both be 2 1/2 and then stepped up to a 4" quick fit connect.
          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Tom Miller
            What you should consider, though, is the airflow for good dust collection so the box doesn't fill up with chips. I filled in some corners of my router compartment to help with that. Also, some folks worry about pulling dust-laden air through the motor of their router. I don't, but perhaps I'll be sorry one day.

Regards,
            Tom
            Even without under table DC in my current router table lots of chips and dust fall directly into the router motor now so not sure how adding DC will change things. In theory having a positive airflow should just carry the dust away rather than leaving it to just fall into the motor.
            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...