• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rheasler
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2006

rheasler

Looking for some suggestions.

When I am routing hard wood, like Oak or Walnut end grains and radius. I am getting some burning marks.

I have a 3Hp. variable speed router set on hard woods. My bits are in good shape and sharp.

All suggestions are welcome

Bob Easler
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Making sure the bit is sharp would be the first step. You could make several slow passes at incremental depth adjustments. Making a pass backwards could do less damage, and takes some control to do it smoothly. Your last pass should be just a skim pass, which should be burn free.

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

End grain is more difficult and radiused curves change from end grain to long grain whilst your routing. You need to be routing towards the end grain rather than away from it, ideally.

Assuming the cutters are sharp, your burning will most likely be caused by inappropriate feed rate and/or too much stock removal in one pass. As cabinetman says, if you can aim to make a very fine finishing pass, that should cure things, otherwise you'll need to experiment with feed rate/cutter speed combinations.

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Are you moving slowly or too fast for the cutter? Try on some scrap to get a feel for the correct hand feeding speed. Also try adjusting your router speed, it may to fast.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• rheasler
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2006

Thanks Guys, I will try all of your suggestions.

Comment

Working...