• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

An odd upholstery question.

Odd one for ya, folks. The 'Z' (or 'S') springs in my section of the couch has gotten soft in the seat (don't go there!). I've never seen springs in the seat go soft this fast - only 4 years. Is there any way to replace these things without dismantling the entire thing? I'm thinking that maybe you could do it from the bottom up but the recliner section may be in the way. Is there a better choice for springs? I know it's a really obtuse question but I don't want to get this thing torn down and install new junky springs because these are all made in China of inferior products. Back in the '70's I did some upholstery on the side but the only spring work was tying coiled springs. I didn't get any experience with this type of spring, though.

As always, TIA!
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004

I managed to answer my own question, in part at least. I found these folks and it looks like the clips require the top to be accessable. I see that they are offered in two gauge sizes but that doesn't really give me any idea of their pedigree. I guess that's asking too much. I'll have to ponder this a bit. I less afraid of opening the deck than I am of installing another short life spring.
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• wardprobst
      • Jan 2006
      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
      • Craftsman 22811

C,

You can do this from the bottom if I recall. There should be a light fabric cover, remove staples and you can access the springs. You may be able to reinforce the springs in the section you need by piggy backing new ones. Old bed springs are a good source of material. All from 30 years back when I built furniture, good luck.
      DP
      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

There is an even easier solution, just sit on the other end of the sofa.

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004

Things have changed since I did uipholstery. The whole thing is put together differently than it was bak then. Definitely designed to be done quick and dirty. I haven't decided what I want to do. Thanks for the suggestion.
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• Two Much
            Established Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Long Island, NY
            • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

I'll take a stab at it ironhat. We do upholstery and always tie off the springs with cord when doing a piece. This is always done from the top. Since you don't have access to the top unless you strip the top of the chair, try it from the bottom.

Take of the dust cover underneath the chair. If it's zig zag springs, it has metal clips attaching the spring wire to the metal frame...they can loosen cause they are usually put in with just nails... it will have metal straps as well (some upholstery shops use nylon straps). First see if all the springs are securly attached to the wood frame straps, as well as the metal straps or nylon straps.... If so then try stringing up the springs with cord-- tying off the cord on each spring...pull tightly (with a lot of tension) and staple the cord ends to the wood frame. As I said, it's usually tied off from the top, but try working backasswards.
            Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
            good luck, Joann

Comment

• ironhat
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004

So, Joann, if the springs are running right to left am I tying the opposite way (top to bottom)? Do I tie tightly to one spring and then to the next spring and so on until I get to the frame or tie one spring and go directly to the frame? How many places do I tie cord to the spring - every 4th 'Z'? Every 6th 'Z'?

TIA!
              Blessings,
              Chiz

Comment

• Two Much
                Established Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Long Island, NY
                • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Ironhat, tie them all ways -- across, diagonally, horizontally --every which way...tie from spring to spring and then to the frame, and then nail the cord to the frame. The more you tie the firmer your seat will become. Have you looked at the seat from underneath yet? joann

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004

Thanks, Joann! I was hoping that you would get backt this thread. I understand what you're saying and it's certainly worth a shot. The upside-down view still uses a wooden frame so all of the springs are nailed to it. There is a great deal of the superstructure made of steel/ wood interconnections. Anyway, there is plenty of room to tie-off the twine. Much appreciated!!
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

• Two Much
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Long Island, NY
                    • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Good luck, I hope it works out. Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...