• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Anyone ever use these slides??

I may have asked this before, don't remember, but as my cabinets are quickly getting to the drawer stage, I was wondering if anyone has given these slides a try? They are self-soft close for 22$ a piece or so. With my 1 year old being somewhat hard on things, I thought that these may be a good idea. I will probably end up ordering a pair to test first unless someone had a good or bad experience.

Thanks all!
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Can't say anything about your particular choice, however, i will say that with my own yungin running rampant, the self close soft close drawers are a life saver for the drawers. I believe mine were the blum and they work well. Get them and you wont regret it.

where are the pics of your work in progress??
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

Does blum make a side mount like that? Or just the 50$ a piece undermounts? I was thinking to use the blum undermounts for the armours on my list, but for kitchen cabs, too much $$ and too many drawers.

As for photos, which work in progress? Harrison? Or the cabinets?
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• jking
        • May 2003
        • Des Moines, IA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by drumpriest
        With my 1 year old being somewhat hard on things, I thought that these may be a good idea.
        I think what you should be looking at are cabinet locks. DAMHIKT

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by jking
          I think what you should be looking at are cabinet locks. DAMHIKT

I agree. If you weigh the cost of those slides compared to what you can save by buying alternative ball bearing full extension slides it may change your mind. They are about 3x the cost. You can kid proof for much less money with more security.

Comment

• jking
            • May 2003
            • Des Moines, IA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
            I agree. If you weigh the cost of those slides compared to what you can save by buying alternative ball bearing full extension slides it may change your mind. They are about 3x the cost. You can kid proof for much less money with more security.
            Not to mention soft close slides are no match for a toddler trying to grab something inside the drawer while closing it at the same time.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

I believe what you are looking for is called metabox iirc.
              As for locking the drawers, I disagree with everyone, yes it would be cheaper, but I personally think its great development for the child to go through "safe" drawers, learning how things work and hiding stuff. I lock up one cabinet with the chems and what not. I do it with my little guy! Its fun

Originally posted by drumpriest
              Does blum make a side mount like that? Or just the 50$ a piece undermounts? I was thinking to use the blum undermounts for the armours on my list, but for kitchen cabs, too much $$ and too many drawers.

As for photos, which work in progress? Harrison? Or the cabinets?
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

The soft close issue and the drawer and door lock issue are separate issues for us. We have drawer locks and intend to use them, though Harry has a cabinet full of innocuous stuff that he enjoys emptying. Mostly I recall as a child being yelled at constantly by my father about slamming things (he also built our cabinets), and I would like to not have to feel that way about it. It's worth the money to me to the extent that I'd probably pay the 50$ a slide for the blum if they were the only solution.

Just wondered if anyone had experience with this particular brand of slides.

Thanks copynhack, I'll look into metabox.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...