X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Pablo
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2008

dowels

I want to take 1/4" off an 1-1/4" dowel with no twist. Best way to do this? Cradle through a thickness planer? Jointer? BT3? Band Saw?

Thanks.
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

If I read it correctly, you want to end up with one flat side, and not reduce the overall diameter of the dowel?

I would just bulid a sacrificial box, with the inside dimension of 1 1/4", and use a TS to slice off what you want, box and all. Somehow fasten the dowel to the box to prevent twist. Keep all fasteners away from the blade, of course.
    Joe

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Don Pablo
      I want to take 1/4" off an 1-1/4" dowel with no twist. Best way to do this? Cradle through a thickness planer? Jointer? BT3? Band Saw?

Thanks.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

If this is to make a 1" dowel from a 1 1/4" dowel, a lathe would be the way to do it, or just use a 1" dowel. If you want to create a flat, can do as Joey suggested, or just attach to a guide strip of wood to run against the fence of the TS.
      Last edited by cabinetman; 02-21-2009, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• Don Pablo
        Handtools only
        • Jan 2008

Sorry--don't want to reduce diameter, just want to create a flat side, but need to insure no twist as I proceed.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

Glue it to a piece of scrap like this pic so that you have two points of contact the bottom of the dowel and the edge of the scrap and then either bandsaw or use a table saw to trim it off. But for safety stop a short way from the end and finish with a hand saw.

Last edited by Black wallnut; 02-21-2009, 11:13 AM.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

No need to go electric on it. I woiuld use a No. 4 plane or what ever was available and just slide the dowell back and forth along the sole while holding in my hand. It will stay flat with out any special jig.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Depending on how handy you are, you could also do it with a handplane, spokeshave, rasp, block and sandpaper, or even a belt sander.

Comment

Working...