This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by Black wallnut
    Sarge, is that walnut on the bottom the top for the table parts on the bench? If not just ship it on up here and I'll find a good use for it!
    I wish, Mark. The bottom shelf of the bench is doug fir rabbeted to the lower stretchers and the remainder is Doug fir from a single beam I recovered when they tore down an old civil war warehouse here in Atlanta where the current Georgia World Congress Center is. I had ripped it down but had to reglue to get those 3 3/4" x same legs.

But.. the parts on top are QSWO for a mission coffee table. What you see resting on that bottom shelf is also QSWO glued for the top of the table and the bottom shelf but.. it is from nearer the center of the oak which is darker. And keep in mind that most of the ligthing has been blocked under the WB top so it is even darker in that scenario.

I tell you.. QSWO is about $4 a board foot for me. High grade Walnut is around $5.75. I can't afford the QSWO these days.. much less walnut which I do love. I used to know folks that had cut them down on property and air dried. But... those stashes have long since dwindled and I have to purchase most of my stock.

If I had done the coffee table in walnut.. it would have cost me 4 times more than I paid for my first used car when I was 14 which was a 51 Chevy for $75 if I remember correctly. The coffee table has been finished for several months now as it followed a bedroom suit. I have a computer desk-hutch working now which is also QSWO.

I only dream of walnut and mahogany in the current economy but.. I have a feeling most do also. At least the folks I know.

Regards...

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Tool positioning and layout location is usually a personal preference choice. It may come from trial and error, or what one was taught and thus adopted the theory, or what is the most convenient to use. IMO, for my use, bench vises are more efficient and user friendly when apron or under top mounted.

Comment

Working...