• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drillman88
    • Dec 2007
    • Southeast
    • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

In-laws House Strikes Again

I woke up this morning with a dread in my heart.I had to go tear down the old crawlspace access door and put up a new one at my In-laws house.At the risk of sounding paranoid,I think someone built this house to torment me.Every project I have ever done there tests me in some new way.The house was built in the 1960's and is fairly well built.It just seems a minor problem turns into a major headache when I work there.
    I pulled out my tape measure this morning and new it had got me again.The opening was 38" wide at the top 39 1/2" at the bottom.65" tall on the right and 66" on the left.The left side was 1 1/8 from plumb and the right was about 1/2 from plumb and they were running in opposite directions.
    Im glad my MIL was in the house when I telling the house what I thought of it.
    There was no way to shim the opening and make it look right so I had to cut to fit and it turned out pretty good just a big headache to measure and layout.
    I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I have to laugh, sorry. My MILs house exists simply to torment me. Everything becomes a big deal, I've learned to haul just about every tool there because something will be needed I didn't bring.
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I thought that was just the univeral truth of every house ever constructed. Maybe it's just the ones I run into...
      Joe

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

My parents bought a 1 bedroom house with a screened in porch in Nov '48. moved in with 3 kids (2, 7, and 12) and me on the way. Dad closed in the porch and, over the years, turned that little house into 3 bedrooms with a den and 2 car garage.

My step-father still lives there and is one of those individuals that is a menace to himself, and society in general, with a screwdriver in his hand. Maintenance has pretty much fallen to me and I have pretty much come to the realization that my 'Dearly Departed Daddy' weren't no carpenter! His electrical work is functional but would probably cause several inspectors to run screeaming into the night.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• jon_ramp
          Established Member
          • Feb 2007
          • western Chicago burb
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by drillman88
          Every project I have ever done there tests me in some new way. It just seems a minor problem turns into a major headache when I work there.
          I feel your pain. I've never known a home repair/remodel project to be otherwise.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Old construction differentials aren't my only complaint. I'll be at new construction site measuring for custom work, and with the GC standing right there, as problems are pointed out, I'll hear "Deal with it".

Comment

• drillman88
              • Dec 2007
              • Southeast

It's not only the house it's the yard as well.The house was built on a hillside and is terraced in the back,think large humps,about 3' drop offs with large roots protruding from the ground from a huge sweet gum.I have stop trying to cut the grass I just spray weed killer about once a month in the summer.I have broken my riding lawn mower more than once it is too difficult to push.

Comment

• docrowan
                • Mar 2007
                • New Albany, MS
                • BT3100

Hey, the contractor who built your mother-in-law's house gets around! He built the house I'm living in!
                - Chris.

Comment

• drillman88
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Southeast

My MIL called me yesterday and told me she was happy with the looks of the door and felt more secure with a more solid door in place.So I guess it was worth the trouble to put her mind at ease.
                  I still will cringe when the inevitable happens and she needs something else.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • On the TARDIS
                    • BT 3100

Come to my house. There is no such thing as a square corner or straight wall.
                    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                      Come to my house. There is no such thing as a square corner or straight wall.
                      The ones with square corners and walls are hard to find.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• jonmulzer
                        • Dec 2007
                        • Indianapolis, IN

I helped a friend frame out his basement this weekend. Well, more properly he helped me because he did not have a clue. The walls sloped in between 1 1/4" and 2 1/4". You could hold a plumb bob flush at the top of the block basement wall and it would not touch at the bottom. In some places, if I had used a chalk line as a plumb bob, it could have spun freely and not touched the walls. The stairs are crooked, no matter how you look at them. They are off by a few degrees, in all axis. Stone cold sober, you feel drunk walking through his house. ****, it takes me a few beers to NOT stagger through his home! They don't make 'em like they used to, and that is a good and bad thing.

When he asked me if we would need anything special to run the trim I told him a miter finder, a coping saw and plenty of caulk. Good thing it is painted trim, stained would drive me crazy.
                        "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

Working...