• Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

What oil based primer are you using?

I am building a cabinet that will live in a kitchen and it will be painted. I have been using Cover Stain Primer by Zinsser. While it covers well it sits on the surface with little or no penetration. It is also soft, providing little support for the top coat.

There must be a good tough bare wood primer out there that is not water born. What are you using?

I am painting birch ply and popular, final color this time is white.

Bill, on the Sunny Oregon Coast
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

When I need an oil base primer, I may use Sherwin Williams A-100. I've also used Kilz Total One.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Thanks, I had forgotten about Kilz, I have some BIN that I will try tonight and see if it covers the green popular. I think the other hardware lumberyard carries SW so that too is an option for me.

Bill
      Last edited by Mr__Bill; 02-11-2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• smorris
        • Apr 2003
        • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I've had good luck with rustoleum metal primer.
        --
        Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• drillman88
          • Dec 2007
          • Southeast
          • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I used bin shellac based primer on some shutters I built and other than the strong smell it was a lot better than the kilz I was using.I sprayed it on and got to recoat pretty quickly even though it was fairly cold. I haven't brushed any on so I don't know how it works there.
          I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Timely trhread for me. I am in the preocess of finishing up a 5 gal Thien seperator for my shop vac and a 55 gal version for my DC. The bottom plates are 1/4" MDF. I used some oil based exterior primer I had on them and got bad results. I am going to sand them smooth as soon as it warms up this morning and reprime.

I have 2 rattle can I bought. One is the Zinsser Cover Stain that states interior/exterior use. The other can is American Accents by Rust-Oleum. It is oil-based but doesn't give recommended interior or exterior useage. I looked at Kilz spray cans at Lowes and HD but they all said interior. Since I don't need the stain blocking property, and with Bill's comment that it dries a little soft, I will go with the American Accents unless I find something on the Rust-Oleum site that would indicate that it would advise against it.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by Pappy
              Timely trhread for me. I am in the preocess of finishing up a 5 gal Thien seperator for my shop vac and a 55 gal version for my DC. The bottom plates are 1/4" MDF. I used some oil based exterior primer I had on them and got bad results. I am going to sand them smooth as soon as it warms up this morning and reprime.

I have 2 rattle can I bought. One is the Zinsser Cover Stain that states interior/exterior use. The other can is American Accents by Rust-Oleum. It is oil-based but doesn't give recommended interior or exterior useage. I looked at Kilz spray cans at Lowes and HD but they all said interior. Since I don't need the stain blocking property, and with Bill's comment that it dries a little soft, I will go with the American Accents unless I find something on the Rust-Oleum site that would indicate that it would advise against it.

I would rather use a primer that's brushed or rolled on over spray cans, for wood products.

Comment

• bigangelman
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2006
                • Northern Wisconsin
                • BT3000

Proper wood primer

The best primer you can use for a base is an oil based enamel undercoater . For my preference I like a deeper bond so if it is on the thick side I will thin it with spirits. Then maybe two coats. It will sand nice and smooth for the finish coat. The shellac based (alcohol) primers are good for sealing knots and stains. The latex primers aren't worth the can it's in. Those are just my opinions, I've only been painting full time since '72 so what do I know.

Tom

Comment

• drillman88
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Southeast
                  • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I guess I should've stated that I sprayed the BIN with a conversion hvlp gun and thinned it slightly with a little alcohol.It layed down really nice.
                  I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2007
                    • Tacoma, WA
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by bigangelman
                    The best primer you can use for a base is an oil based enamel undercoater . For my preference I like a deeper bond so if it is on the thick side I will thin it with spirits. Then maybe two coats. It will sand nice and smooth for the finish coat. The shellac based (alcohol) primers are good for sealing knots and stains. The latex primers aren't worth the can it's in. Those are just my opinions, I've only been painting full time since '72 so what do I know.

Tom
                    I have to agree with you on this. The rattlecan BIN primer is great for covering marks on the wall you find just before you paint. A couple of coats and magic marker is gone.

I will have to check today and see if ACE carries an enamel undercoat in oil. If not it's down the road to the lumber yard and see what Sherman Williams has.

Bill, on the Sunny Oregon Coast, where yesterday we had 2" of rain and hail mixed.

Comment

Working...