X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spagington
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006

1/2" or 3/3" BB Ply?

I'm planning on building a router table soon with some 1/2" BB ply that I have in the shop. But, all the plans I see use 3/4" ply for the carcass. Will I regret this later if I use 1/2" instead of 3/4"?

Thanks for you thoughts.

Scott
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Originally posted by spagington
    I'm planning on building a router table soon with some 1/2" BB ply that I have in the shop. But, all the plans I see use 3/4" ply for the carcass. Will I regret this later if I use 1/2" instead of 3/4"?

Thanks for you thoughts.

Scott
    IMHO yes. 5/8" is the minimum I would ever use for a carcass and even then not if the span was too wide. You could create various framing supports but by the time you went to that trouble you may as well have used the 3/4"

Given that we are talking about building a router table that should see many years of good use I would just go and buy a sheet of 3/4. Better that than regretting it later. You will always have a use for the 1/2" for jigs etc and it will be perfect for making the drawers for the table.

If you just happen to have a gazzillion sq/ft of 1/2" that you just want to get rid of you could always laminate it into 1" thick. If you have tons left I am sure there are many members here who would be happy to help and take some off your hands
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

for the top?? 1/2" would be too thin, for sure, you'll get all kinda flex. I used 3/4" for mine with a torsion grid below it that hugs the edges of where I routed out for a drop in plate. Seems ok, but probably could be stiffer.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• spagington
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2006

For the top I am planning on using 2 layers of 3/4" MDF. The BB would only be for the case.

Comment

Working...