X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScrewChamp
    Handtools only
    • Feb 2006

Bar Top Help

I am the middle of a multi media (Steel & Wood) project. What I have done is cut the front off from a 1973 MACK Fire Engine and I am going to turn it into a bar for my home. The metal work is just about done, now it is on to designing an building a bartop. I had thought about metal but I think I would prefer a nice wood top.

I have the basic design and I am looking for some input on what to use for wood for the top, specifically what wood will look good under the thick clear barcoat contrasting with the fire engine front. The metal on the bar is typical fire engine red and white.

Thoughts?
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

Quarter sawn white oak, stained a bit dark and use some steel between the planks like on the bed of an old truck.
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Sounds like a really cool project, pictures would be great. If it were me, I might go with a diamond plate top, but you asked for wood. So, there is just too much to pick from, so I would say to use something that might go with the motif of the room. For the sake of keeping down the costs, in dark woods I might go with Mahogany. For lighter woods with interesting grain, I like Red Oak or Ash. If you plan on a heavy film finish like a bar top varnish, or a pour on epoxy, you could use a hardwood plywood, which may fit the budget better, and not be subject to movement issues.

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

As Cabinet man suggests, I'd probably go with a plywood, but if you are doing an epoxy finish, you can use any kind of veneer you want, as it'll be well protected, so why not go with something a bit more exotic? veneersupplies or joewoodworker will show you a vast array of options that might be cool.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• ScrewChamp
          Handtools only
          • Feb 2006

I just checked on the vaneer option. I like the look of a vaneer, pleantly of options from the sites you gave me, but, I have some aprehension as I have never done any vaneer work other than edging.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by ScrewChamp
            I just checked on the vaneer option. I like the look of a vaneer, pleantly of options from the sites you gave me, but, I have some aprehension as I have never done any vaneer work other than edging.

There are many species of plywood that come with a veneered face. A good supplier may have them in thinner thickness, like 1/4" or 1/2", which may be less in cost and a lot less hassle than buying a veneer and gluing it to a substrate.

Comment

Working...