• Show
Clear All
  • fastfoodkills
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008
    • Saugus, CA
    • BT3000 bought in Y2K; Replaced w/ Steel City cast iron 3 HP

3M Contact Cement via Spray Gun Advice Needed

I was wondering if anyone has tried the 3M Fastbond 30NF Contact Adhesive. It's waterbased and is available at a local plywood supplier (Philips in Pecoima, CA) for about $20.00/quart, which is considerably less than most online shops. According to the product sheet it's sprayable or brushable:

I have an old inexpensive Binks touch-up gun that may be a good candidate 'cause I'd hate to destroy my prized HF HVLP gun

Binks is a Model 115 (I believe):

Will a touch up gun do the job or are there special requirements for spraying contact adhesive? I'm also hoping that since the adhesive is water based, it will clean up without too much difficulty...

Thanks!

Tom

Saugus, CA
    Last edited by fastfoodkills; 02-04-2009, 09:48 PM. Reason: improve subject wording
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I don't use waterbased contact cement. If you do, it's recommended that the internals be stainless. I do spray solvent based contact cement. If you find spray grade cement, it can be sprayed from an ordinary siphon gun, or a detail gun. If all you have is a brush grade, the major difference is that brush grade is a bit thicker and it's retarded to allow longer working time. Just thin it 10% - 15% to spray.

I haven't tried it with HVLP. But, even with a siphon gun there is no overspray, as the spray isn't really atomized. It should be sprayed like it's laying down tiny wet dots.

I would assume that waterbased would be similar.

Comment

• pecker
      Established Member
      • Jun 2003

I can barely get water-based lacquers to spray thru my detail gun without thinning them.
      I'd think contact cement, which is much more viscous, would be quite difficult to spray with a detail gun.

And seriously difficult to clean afterward.

Comment

• fastfoodkills
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2008
        • Saugus, CA
        • BT3000 bought in Y2K; Replaced w/ Steel City cast iron 3 HP

Thanks for the tips. I [believe] the solvent based stuff (DAP in a red can) is still available here in SoCal in small quantities (pint size). Solvents are becoming so politically incorrect here that it may be tricky to find a quart or gallon of the stuff.

Comment

Working...