Full Extension Drawer Slide - Can I?...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 91FE
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 303
    • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

    #1

    Full Extension Drawer Slide - Can I?...

    I've got a situation where I'm trying to fit some new drawers into an existing metal cabinet that I use as a tool box. Long story short... I can't fit the drawers where I want them in the cabinet with regular full extension slides. I could make the fancy under-mounts work... but they'll cost a small fortune.

    While it's not their intended use, can I install standard full extension slides on the flat under a drawer?
    I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • 1868
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

    #2
    I think I saw Norm do that on his cd storage case. The problem I would question is how much weight it would bear.

    Bill
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

    Comment

    • Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • 7091
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

      #3
      If I understand your idea, the downforce in the fabbed setup would be at 90-degrees to the design. Can't see how that would be good, in the short term or the long.

      Comment

      • pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • 4217
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

        #4
        It would probably hang up once you pulled out the drawer a distance and it started tipping.

        Be careful about using lesser quality extension slides. A while back I used some inexpensive extension slides from the borg on a rackmount server cabinet. They were rated for 100 lbs. The quad P-Pro server was about 90 lbs. I think I got only about 6 slides out of them before it broke. It took an hour to get the server unstuck. I'm still finding ball bearings rolling around our floor years later.
        Erik

        Comment

        • cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • 15216
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

          #5
          Side mount full extension slides aren't designed to work under load when turned 90 degrees. If you screwed vertically mounted wood, like 3/4" X 1.5" tall (exposed, on the underside of the drawer) and a corresponding member on the side of the cabinet, so that there is 17/32" between the drawer member and the wood on the side of the cabinet, regular side mounts can be used as their intended mounting position as an undermount. There are undermount full extension slides that can be bottom mounted that will carry the weight. Wood can be screwed to a metal drawer bottom or metal cabinet side. Or, you could contact cement or epoxy the wood to the metal.

          You may have to apply a buildup to the drawer underside, or inside cabinet ends to get the wood to clear metal edges or structural metal bracing.
          .

          Comment

          • Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • 2507
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

            #6
            Originally posted by 91FE
            Long story short... I can't fit the drawers where I want them in the cabinet with regular full extension slides.
            Maybe it's time for the long version.

            On the off-chance you're in the same (or similar) boat:

            I goofed up on some drawers once -- didn't include the 1/2" clearance each side for the slides. So, I buried the slides into the 3/4" thick drawer sides, and it actually came out quite well.

            Regards,
            Tom

            Comment

            • 91FE
              Established Member
              • Dec 2005
              • 303
              • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

              #7
              Originally posted by Tom Miller
              Maybe it's time for the long version.
              Fair enough, but the long version is pretty long. Let me pull together a sketch and better description to post.
              I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

              Comment

              Working...