X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

A new "distressed" Mandolin can be pricey ...

Since the guitar mention was made ... a "Distressed Master Model Gibson F5 Mandolin" ... can get kinda pricey ... Gibson F5 MM Distressed

BTW ... the "not so distressed" model goes for about $6k LESS ... so I guess in some cases distressing is considered a good thing ....
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Hey Keith, I feel your pain as I watched in horror as my 2 year old granson picked up a ceramic statue and delivered a half dozen blows to one of my first projects; a cherry drop leaf end table. I tried steam first but became fearful that it would work it's way under the rest of the poly so I did as Mike said and used drops of water. I incorporated a suggestion that I had picked up somewhere and put two drops of detergent in a cup of water to help break the surface tension of the water for better absorption. I don't know if that actually helped but the areas did raise, for the most part. I decided to live with the imperfections and I just re-sprayed the top. Not perfect but I no longer cry when I look at it. Best of luck!!
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• Wood_workur
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Ohio
        • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by LarryG
        My question has always been this: since used guitars typically sell for 50-60% of what they cost new, why would anyone ever pay the higher price for a new Relic?
        Because a guitar of that age is probably worth more. And I agree with the guitar center comment. I bought a cymbal there and there is still a fingerprint I can't get off it. The ones I bought from a small drum shop are spotless.
        Alex

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Wood_workur
          Because a guitar of that age is probably worth more.
          Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I didn't mean buy an actual vintage guitar (which, yes, would definitely be worth a lot more). I meant buy a used example of the same model Relic. Since they're all beat to heck anyway, what difference does it make if it's used?

To get BOT, I suppose one legitimate reason for a distressed finish on new furniture would be to get the old, well-worn look on a new piece that is structurally sound and in good operating condition (doors, drawers, etc). Then again, to have something that looks old but functions like new seems a bit surrreal. I would consider a sticking drawer or a slightly misaligned door to be part of the old piece's honest charm.
          Larry

Comment

Working...