• Show
Clear All
  • Texas splinter
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Abilene, TX, USA.
    • BT3100

Bandstand platforms question (long)

Once again I come to the well of wisdom for help on a project.

My pastor asked me to talk to him about "...a small woodworking project..." the alarm bells should have gone off then, but...
    The Praise Worship Service is being held in the "Activity Center" of the church, having outgrown the chapel they were holding the service in. In the activity center (a large gym) they are performing on some portable platforms that fold all up for storage. These are borrowed from the church next door and they will want them back soon. He wants me to make some platform sections that the band can perform off of, but can be moved out-of-the way for other events in the activity center.
    The fancy fold-up platforms they borrowed are very expensive, so buying something like them is out of the question. They measure 3' by 6' by 12" high when set up. They are using 4 of them at this time.
    The music director wants twice the space. They don't have to fold up but must be moveable so they can lean them up against walls when they want them out of the way.

I was thinking of using 3/4 ply or underlayment (something like "Sturdi Floor") with some sort of reinforcement to keep it from bending and flexing. My thoughts/questions:
    1) I could make then 3' X 6', using 3 sheets of 4' X 8' ply to make 4 platforms, or
    2) I could just make them 4' X 8' and make 6 platforms. The problem with this is that they would be 2' taller when they stand them up against the wall.
    3) I could use angle aluminum around the edges ad down the center to stiffen them, or
    4) "Skirt" them with 1X4s and run a 1X4 down the center to stiffen them.

I think the 1X4 answer would be cheapest, plus it would give me a solid surface to mount legs to.
    Last question: I was thinking a leg at each corner (2X2) and one in the center of the 3X6 panels. If I went 4X8, would I need more legs?
    "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

Chuck Hershiser
    Abilene, Texas
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Have you thought of torsion boxes?( I think that's the right name)

A modification on this design could work while keeping things lighter.
    Last edited by Richard in Smithville; 12-06-2008, 08:28 PM.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Wood_workur
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Ohio
      • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville

A modification on this design could work while keeping things lighter.
      Bingo!!!!

I've seen drum risers that are 3/4" ply supported by a frame around the outside, and two smaller x's that sit in the middle. I'm thinking they would hold whatever you want.

http://home.mchsi.com/~sjmills5/drum-riser-plans.html that is the design I'm speaking of.
      Alex

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Exactly what I was thinking. A sheet of plywood reinforced with some 2x4s is probably going to sag and wiggle too much even though it is unlikely to break. What's quite nice about a torsion box is that it's strength and stiffness is roughly proportional to the cube of the box height and not terribly dependent on the width of the material you use for the grid. You should be able to use 3/4" plywood for the top, perhaps 1/2" for the bottom, and 1/2" or even 3/8" for the inner grid. You want something that's relatively light and stuff so the people who are walking and performing on it feel secure.

If a torsion box will hold up a 747, your church band should be a piece of cake.

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

Torsion boxes are a great choice for this, though they are not particularly light in weight when they get too big. Using latch hardware to hold sections together is probably a good idea.

Great project though! One day I'll build a rotating drum riser ala Neil Peart, hey, we all gotta have dreams, right?
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• Wood_workur
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Ohio
            • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by drumpriest
            Torsion boxes are a great choice for this, though they are not particularly light in weight when they get too big. Using latch hardware to hold sections together is probably a good idea.

Great project though! One day I'll build a rotating drum riser ala Neil Peart, hey, we all gotta have dreams, right?
            time out. If you are gonna do that, you might as well go all the way and do it slipknot style..... spinning, rising, and tipping. Nothing like playing a drum solo upside down.
            Alex

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Lolz

Originally posted by Wood_workur
              time out. If you are gonna do that, you might as well go all the way and do it slipknot style..... spinning, rising, and tipping. Nothing like playing a drum solo upside down.
              do you read minds, i just pm'd him the link LOL

a great drum solo by the great slipknot drummer, joey. the platform keeps turning but the snairs are are always sounding...just great

I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

Now wait a sec, that's just grandstanding! You want the rotating riser so you can HAVE MORE STUFF!!!
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I did work for the theater department when I was in college. We had lots of platforms that were used for all kinds of stuff. The basic design was 3/4" plywood on a 2x4 frame. Legs were carriage bolted to the corners and the center of the 8' sides. Legs were an L made from two 2x4's. Paint them whatever color you'd like. Simple and effective. I think that 1x4 skirting probably would not reinforce a 4x8 platform enough, and 2x2 legs seems a bit small for a band, there will be plenty of movement and heavy stuff (drunsets?) on these, so make sure they are sturdy.

Jim

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by jziegler
                    I did work for the theater department when I was in college. We had lots of platforms that were used for all kinds of stuff. The basic design was 3/4" plywood on a 2x4 frame. Legs were carriage bolted to the corners and the center of the 8' sides. Legs were an L made from two 2x4's. Paint them whatever color you'd like. Simple and effective. I think that 1x4 skirting probably would not reinforce a 4x8 platform enough, and 2x2 legs seems a bit small for a band, there will be plenty of movement and heavy stuff (drunsets?) on these, so make sure they are sturdy.

Jim
                    More than half my family are in theatre, my daughter graduated from the ASU theatre dept this year and my son is a Junior, LOML is a teacher (language arts and theatre). I have worked a lot with the back stage construction crews and built stage and scenery for my wifes productions including numerous stage platforms.

Unless you need them to be smaller, basically it is as Jim suggests. A sheet of 3/4 ply on a frame of 2x4 with 2 cross supports. The legs are cut from 2x4s and mounted inside each corner and where the cross supports meet the frame. The legs alternate direction to help prevent racking. Constuction is simple and uses long drywall screws - do predrill pilot and clearance holes, its not strictly necessary but after you have snapped the head from your third or fourth screw you will wish you had!!! SQ drive screws make life easier but do cost a tad more and you will use a lot of them (~100 per platform).
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Tacoma, WA
                      • BT3000

You are going to want a simple and inexpensive way to secure those platforms together. Roto-Locks are used in the Theatre for just such jobs. Self aligning and easy to install and use they will make several platforms into one sturdy platform.

Bill, properly designed and built scenery falls apart just after the last performance.

Comment

• Texas splinter
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Abilene, TX, USA.
                        • BT3100

And that's why I love this forum! Where else can you communicate with people from all walks of life. I like the drumstand idea, and (stupid me) I haden't even thought about torsion boxes.
                        I will take these ideas to the music director and pastor.
                        Abain, Thanks a lot guys.

Chuck Hershiser
                        Abilene, Texas

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Buena Park, CA
                          • CM 21829

Chuck,
                          You didn't mention weight constraints, but a torsion box from 3/4 sheet, 2x6 framing, using 4x4 for the legs lag-bolted on, should stand up to a great deal of loading. One thing to consider, however you frame them - you could always add an extra set of legs about midway along the length to transfer/distribute loading.
                          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Texas splinter
                            Established Member
                            • Mar 2003
                            • Abilene, TX, USA.
                            • BT3100

The finished bandstands

Originally posted by Wood_workur
                            Bingo!!!!

I've seen drum risers that are 3/4" ply supported by a frame around the outside, and two smaller x's that sit in the middle. I'm thinking they would hold whatever you want.

http://home.mchsi.com/~sjmills5/drum-riser-plans.html that is the design I'm speaking of.
                            I used your suggestion and the bandstands were easy to make and the praise band is estatic with them!
                            I put hand holds in the tops because a 6'X4' sheet of 1/2" ply is not easy to move around. the band leader requested the same size holes in the sides and ends to get the snakepit of wiring out from under their feet.
                            Here are some pics of the 8 stands I made, all put together with the cords running thru the hand holds.

Chuck Hershiser
                            Abilene, Texas

Comment

• BobSch
                              • Aug 2004
                              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                              • BT3100

Chuck, I think you missed the pics
                              Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment