• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodinville guy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Cedar Park, TX

Nice Desk

I'm looking for a new desk and I'm sick of looking at cheap presswood crap. I've made some furniture before, mainly arts and crafts (morris chair and end tables). Does anyone have any pictures/plans of nice desks? I'm looking for something in an executive sized desk. It will go against a wall so te back doesn't have to be pretty.
    - Dave
  • just started
    • Mar 2008
    • suburban Philly

There is nothing nicer than a natural shellacked oak roll-top desk.

Comment

• woodinville guy
      Established Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Cedar Park, TX

Originally posted by just started
      There is nothing nicer than a natural shellacked oak roll-top desk.
      I'm not a fan of roll-top desks. Was thinking maybe converting this design to a desk.
      http://www.woodsmith.com/plans/craftsman-library-table/
      - Dave

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by woodinville guy
        I'm not a fan of roll-top desks. Was thinking maybe converting this design to a desk.
        http://www.woodsmith.com/plans/craftsman-library-table/
        What did you mean to do when you say 'convert to desk'? Did you want to house a computer in it?
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

You could just Google "desks", and then click on "images", and you'll find all different kinds of desks. Only you know what you want. If you find something close, or you want to convert the one you linked, that would give us something to go on.

Comment

• woodinville guy
            Established Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Cedar Park, TX

Originally posted by radhak
            What did you mean to do when you say 'convert to desk'? Did you want to house a computer in it?
            I want to have some space for hanging folders. Yes I'm going to use a computer on it put I don't want to put the computer inside a box because I would be worried it would melt. I have the plans for the table I referenced and I like the look of it.

Things I was thinking about doing to the plan:
            o widening the desk a little. center drawer to be about 29" and converted to a keyboard try
            o closing the sides and making hanging folders drawers on each side under the smaller drawers, widening the drawers that are there since they are only 8" wide

something similiar to this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr or this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7732499 3

Since everything is square, I think it would work. I would make an additional 4 matching legs and essentially two boxes between the legs. I would probably make it from red oak, I have a ton of it :-) Laminate the legs together to make the thick stock, and use 1/2" oak ply for the sides of the boxes.

What am I missing? it almost seems easy..... should match nicely with this table I made: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...55264080gQVfAH
            - Dave

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I would Google for desk and see if anything appeals to your eye. If so.. you can copy or modify to suite your taste as I do. If nothing appeals to you... how many desk have you seen in your life-time? Quite a few I would guess.. Sit down with a note-pad as I usually do and design one using those visual images you have picked up looking at desk in your life experience.

I just finished a Mission coffee table about a week or so ago. I started s shoe rack yesterday which should be ready for Watco tomorrow. Then I start a new computer desk next week. I have not looked yet but.. will use the above described method when I do next Monday. I will have a crudely drawn plan by Tuesday which warrants a trip up the street to my hard-wood supplier.

Remeber that about all designs are a "box" that you simply add a little here and take a little there until it looks like what you want in the end. In this case a desk.

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I wouldn't worry about putting the computer inside the desk. Just be sure to cut some vents along the inside of the knee-hole and leave the door open while functioning. A friend of mine disliked having to leave the door open so he added a fan to the bottom of the casing thus, blowing additional cooler air in so that the PPC could pull through. I believe that he added an addional fan to the exhaust end of the equation but I don't think that he needed it. The price you will pay, however, is that you won't have room for haning files on that side of the desk.
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

Ok, I'll pimp my wares here. I build this one a few years ago, and it's been great thus far.

Chiz, I don't completely disagree with you, but I would NEVER think of housing my system inside of anything. It really depends upon the heat output of your setup. I'm a graphics programmer by trade and have a fairly massive GPU in there, as well as a fairly massive CPU and bunches of audio hardware. My point being that not every machine is good to house inside a desk.
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• ironhat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I agree Keith. I should have thought that through. In our office the PCs are pretty simple and do fine (per my network/ PC builder). Very nice desk you have there. It looks like oak and maple, maybe?
                    Blessings,
                    Chiz

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

"Chiz, I don't completely disagree with you, but I would NEVER think of housing my system inside of anything. It really depends upon the heat output of your setup. I'm a graphics programmer by trade and have a fairly massive GPU in there, as well as a fairly massive CPU and bunches of audio hardware. My point being that not every machine is good to house inside a desk".

O-Kee Doo-Kee... I have a question for the computer whizs amongst yee which I am simply not and won't ever be. I have to design a computer desk next week and will run into... do I house the CPU or do I not house it? I would prefer to house it but don't particularly care to run into the face of the wind.

It so happens that I just made a Mission coffee table and am considering doing a computer desk in Mission style as the computer sits in a small library area open to the same room and Mission compliments the casual furniture we have.

So.. if one put frame and slats (basically picture Mission style) on a lower compartment to the right of the desk.. left the rear open... used a solid front door... what are your thoughts on the open rear and side slats allowing enough ventilation. The CPU involved is a ACER 2 GB... 4400+... 320 GB... Super Multi Disk with DVD. Whatever all that means as I just typed it off the front and don't personally have a clue and the First Lady who does understand this type jargon is out at the moment.

Any warnings.. reccomendations or approvals would be welcome.

Thanks in advance for qualified comments...

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

I've fabricated many units that housed various types of equipment, CPU's and audio equipment, behind a door, or pairs of doors. The backs of those areas can be left off. If further ventilation is necessary, small low voltage fans that are inexpensive, can be mounted to create an air flow.

Overlay doors, or inset doors are not air tight, and will permit some airflow. Vents can be cut into the face of the door(s) if necessary.

Comment

• woodinville guy
                          Established Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Cedar Park, TX

Looks like the wife is against me making the desk :-( but all is not lost.
                          - Dave

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks for your im-put Cabinetman. I do not fore-see a problem with open back and partially open sides created by Mission slats as the CPU is currently enclosed with just an open back. But... I ain't no computer guy and there is the possibiltiy that the CPU would last longer if fully vented.

Just how much longer is the key here but... unless some further info comes along that would discourage the route I plan to take... it gets enclosed.

Comment

• tribalwind
                              • Feb 2004
                              • long island, ny.

google "free woodworking plans" you'll get a few sites with huge lists of project plans, entire sections devoted to desks.

here are 3 i've gotten plans from ,
                              http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/r...ex.php?cat=390
                              http://www.freeww.com/desks.html
                              http://www.woodworkingplansfree.com/desk_plans.html
                              namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

Working...