• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Project Ideas Please

As a re-org'd all my stock the other week I came across these two boards. They are actually veneered chipboard so dont really have much inherent strength of their own and of course no end grain, hence why they have been sitting around.

I showed them to LOML this evening and we realized that they are now 25 years old. I bought the sheet and made these as shelves for our first apartment just after we got married. As we have lived in the US for nearly 10 years now and I know they werent installed in our last UK house they must have been in either a damp wet English garage or my 100 degree+ Arizona one for over 18 years. Amazingly they are still perfectly flat and straight

The grain pattern, as you can see is, is pretty dramatic. The question is what should I do with them? As you can see they have some great nostalgia attached to them so something special would be nice.

I thought I would throw my inspiration to you folks and see what great ideas come up. Possible prize (or maybe just kudos) to the winning idea
    Attached Files
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

The grain is dramatic. Maybe you could join them edgewise for a background to something like a cool clock, or better yet a clock that you made. You can buy all the parts pretty cheap for a battery type. All kinds of numbers and hands available.

Or a background for a DIY weather station. Those instruments are also fairly inexpensive.

Or, the boards could be mitered cut and a shadow box of sorts could be made. If they were ripped, a shallow one with it's own shelves might work out with the amount of material you have.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Those are really pretty boards. Since they're not subject to the rules of real hardwood, you can segment them in panels pretty easily without worrying about movement and endgrain glueups. Coffee table, end tables, sofa tables are all possibilities. Just as one idea, here's a pic of a coffee table I made from QSWO veneered boards salvagedfrom my MIL's old armoire.

Last edited by Knottscott; 12-09-2008, 12:42 PM.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Originally posted by Dustmight
        Those are really pretty boards. Since they're not subject to the rules of real hardwood, you can segment them in panels pretty easily without worrying about movement and endgrain glueups. Coffee table, end tables, sofa tables are all possibilities. Just as one idea, here's a pic of a coffee table I made from QSWO veneered boards salvagedfrom my MIL's old armoire.

[ATTACH]11623[/ATTACH]
        Thats one nice looking table. I have been thinking along those lines and the only challenge is for our living room we are headed for more Cherry and the dining room which is currently rosewood looks to be on its way much lighter e.g. Ash.
        Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

Jon,

Jewelry Boxes. They're small and you don't need strength or thickness. Look into a book entitled "400 Wood Boxes", published by Lark Books. Try Barnes & Noble, that;s where I got mine. It will change your entire life, that is, if you're into making boxes.

Bruce
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

My thoughts too, Poolhound, use them for panels in frame and panel anything, doors, boxes, etc. The pattern is really nice, its a shame the substrate is lousy, but in truth, that is probably why it lasted through all of that expansion & contraction.
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
              Jon,

Jewelry Boxes. They're small and you don't need strength or thickness. Look into a book entitled "400 Wood Boxes", published by Lark Books. Try Barnes & Noble, that;s where I got mine. It will change your entire life, that is, if you're into making boxes.

Bruce
              I got that book recently, I think I picked it up for around $8 at our local half price book store.

I was thinking boxes but these panels are 5/8 which seem a bit thick for a box. I may have to think more about this option.
              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• shoottx
                Veteran Member
                • May 2008
                • Plano, Texas
                • BT3000

Let's be practical about this question. 1st what is the best thing that can happen? 2nd if you do build something how will it be appreciated? And 3rd will what you build match the rest of the decor.

Why not build another Ark or something to match the already completed ark. The wood is then used for a higher calling. It looks like it would be a good match to the one you completed. And if they like it you might score another treasure for your work.

Problem solved
                Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

As I continue to mull over the best way to use these boards a few questions come to mind.

1. As you can see the finish (even 25 years on) is still pretty good. As I recall it was multiple coats of BLO. I would guess it had penetrated through the thin veneer so if I should decide to inset into a rabbeted frame e.g for a table top, is it even possible to sand enough of the finish out to get glue to adhere to it?

2. Following on from #1, whatever I build I will need to match the finish. I can rub down the top surface of the BLO but do you think I should stick to a similar finish or can I add any oil based option on top?

3. A rabbeting techniques seems best to me so it hides the edges totally but if I simply add a HW edging/border what would be the best option to get a good join with the particle board edge? Glue and biscuits seem like the obvious option. Any other thoughts?
                  Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...