X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Schleeper
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008

Buying lazy susans

Time to start work on the corner base cabinets, which means I need to pick up a couple of lazy susans. I've looked at several online vendors, and would like to hear what you guys use in your cabinets, and where you buy.

The cabinets are standard 36" base corners, with diagonal fronts.

Lee Valley has 360 degree "wire carousels" that would probably do the job, but I'm not sure if I like the style. http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...648,43653&ap=1

Cabinetparts.com has a plywood susan that looks pretty nice, but it's a bit pricey: http://www.cabinetparts.com/shop_200...S07232&cat=197

Woodworker's Hardware has two different round wooden susans, and I can't tell the difference between the two (except for the prices): http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/Gr...ans/showprod/1
    Woodworker's Hardware has 15,000+ items in stock and ready to ship within 24 hours. We sell cabinet hardware and supplies to woodworkers. 25+ years in business! Order online today or call us at 1-800-383-0130.

Custom Service Hardware appears to be selling one that's the same as one of the ones Woodworker's Hardware sells: http://www.cshardware.com/IW_Product...TI_ITEM_SUBMIT

What is the correct size to buy, 28" or 32"? (I'm going to verify by making a scale drawing, but I just thought I'd ask.)

When purchasing items online, I like to consolidate when possible in order to save on shipping. I'm not prepared to make any decisions yet about knobs, pulls, or hinges (and I'll probably buy the drawer slides when I order those items,) but there must be other things I'm going to need. What about those spaceball thingies for the raised panel doors? (Why do they come in different sizes and hardness? And will I really need a gun to get them in the grooves?)

As always, I appreciate the help.
    "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

> Woodworker's Hardware has two different round wooden susans, and I can't tell the difference between the two (except for the prices):

One is a full-round shelf, the other is round, but with a 90-degree wedge cut out of it. The cabinet doors would be up against this 'wedge'. Personally that's the style I prefer as it optimizes the usage of space.

-Tim

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

Don't know much about them, but Ikea carries lazy susans.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

My kitchen has a 360 degree wire one. I really don't like it. If I had to do another I'd do the 270 degree. There's not as much storage space, but it's easier to get to. I don't know if someone makes one with just an edge shaved off that would work with a 45 degree door.

My wife ended up putting a bunch of the pots and pans in ours. I can't tell you how many times I've had to move a bunch of stuff off the rack and 'bout near crawl in the cabinet to get a lid that fell off. The openings in the wires let long thin objects slide through too, like pan handles.

Blum has some really nice corner designs. http://www.blum.com/us/en/01/40/80/10/index.php
        Erik

Comment

• Schleeper
          Established Member
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by tfischer
          > Woodworker's Hardware has two different round wooden susans, and I can't tell the difference between the two (except for the prices):

One is a full-round shelf, the other is round, but with a 90-degree wedge cut out of it. The cabinet doors would be up against this 'wedge'. Personally that's the style I prefer as it optimizes the usage of space.

-Tim
          Tim, you didn't scroll down far enough on the second one. It starts off showing a pie-cut susan, but further down is another 360 degree one.

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Schleeper
            Tim, you didn't scroll down far enough on the second one. It starts off showing a pie-cut susan, but further down is another 360 degree one.
            Whoops, my bad. Sorry for pointing out the obvious

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I don't know if they still sell them but when I put a lazy susan in the corner of our Pittsburgh house I bought a setup that used a pipe in the center with brackets for each shelf and a large ball bearing for the pipe to pivot on in the center. Shelves were wooden and I cut thin wood strips for edging to help keep things from falling off. I think it was relatively inexpensive and it pivoted very smoothly. I've messed with lazy susans a bit and the arrangement I used was smoother than any lazy susan I've tried.

Jim

Comment

• Schleeper
                Established Member
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by JimD
                I don't know if they still sell them but when I put a lazy susan in the corner of our Pittsburgh house I bought a setup that used a pipe in the center with brackets for each shelf and a large ball bearing for the pipe to pivot on in the center. Shelves were wooden and I cut thin wood strips for edging to help keep things from falling off. I think it was relatively inexpensive and it pivoted very smoothly. I've messed with lazy susans a bit and the arrangement I used was smoother than any lazy susan I've tried.

Jim
                Jim, Lee Valley sells the hardware to make your own lazy susan: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...648,43653&ap=2

Unfortunately, you end up with a lazy susan that has shelves that don't rotate independently.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

I have nothing to add to your quest, but I will chime in to add how much I dislike lazy susans. You would think there would be a better corner system by now.

I think it's Blum's showroom that Nahm went to recently, where they had units that swing out toward you. I didn't like it much, but it looked better than a LS.

Now, you may continue without further interruption.
                  Joe

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

I've used the Lee Valley wire carousels and they are built very well. Not very stylish although nicer then the typical Rev-A-Shelf plastic ones.

any of those type don't add a lot of storage but they do make usable storage out of a corner.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Popeye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Woodbine, Ga
                      • Grizzly 1023SL

If you are set on having one go ahead. When I was designing my cabinets I really wanted to use that corner space top and bottom but....I couldn't find anything that had large enough doors to suit me. And the practical side of me kept thinking how in the world am I going to get my fat butt in there when something falls out and jams up the works I finally dumped the whole plan and went with two drawer boxes with full extension slides and left the corner empty.
                      This thing looks like the best use of the space but it cost so much I dumped it too. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...net%20hardware Good luck, Pat
                      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Schleeper
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2008

I hear ya, Pat. However, I'm going with the single angled door, so that option wouldn't work for me. I think a lazy susan is just the best of a lot of bad solutions.

Comment

Working...