• Show
Clear All
  • Snap Marc
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Atlanta, GA, USA.
    • Jet ProSHOP Full Cast Iron Hybrid

Ottoman Tray

My wife recently bought two big comfy chairs and an ottoman for the kitchen sitting area. Problem is there is no table or place to set food drinks, etc. I'd like to build a nice tray to set on the ottoman. This could be a great opportunity to buy some exotic species of wood as it won't use very much. Any plans out there? Ideas?
    --
    Marc
    Roswell, GA

\"You get what you pay for.\"
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Interesting one from djmarks...

If you search in the video section of the site by going to diynet.com and then clicking on woodworking, the episode is mostly there to watch.

I would think a skirt under a tray like this that fits nicely over the cushion would help with it not falling off the ottoman.

I would suggest a robust finish, many coats of lacquer or poly or even bar top finish, as you will have drinks and food sweating and spilling on it over time.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by drumpriest
      I would think a skirt under a tray like this that fits nicely over the cushion would help with it not falling off the ottoman.

I would suggest a robust finish, many coats of lacquer or poly or even bar top finish, as you will have drinks and food sweating and spilling on it over time.

I agree with that advice. Another thought is to have the access edge somewhat bordered. You could fabricate the tray with folding legs to set down over the ottoman, which would give more stability, and possibly more accessibility using the same footprint as the ottoman.

Comment

Working...