• Show
Clear All
  • Texas splinter
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Abilene, TX, USA.
    • BT3100

Antique Ice Box questions

Hi Ya'all! The LOML has traded with one of her sisters for an old ice box, made of oak, that is in really bad shape. Of course she remembers this ice box back in the day when it was in much better shape!
    She has told me that she got it for me to "repair" (rebuild is more like it) so she can give it to our son for his birthday.
    It has two doors, but the latches on the upper and lower doors don't match. In fact the entire upper door looks like it has been "remanufactured" from a bunch of old parts. the only things on the upper door in common with the lower door are the hinges, but there are at least 3 seperate sets of hinge screw holes (filled with wood putty) in the upper door besides the set the hinges were mounted in. Also, the lower stile is about 1/8 inch too short, leaving an ugly gap on the latch side between the lower rail and the left-hand stile.
    There may be at least one joint on this box that is still solid, but I havn't found it yet.
    Also, there is a lot of wood rot down at the very bottom, where the drip pan would mount. (It's missing.)
    It has a carved nameplate attched to the upper door that says "BOWEN" but it almost looks hand made. I hav'nt found any other data plates on it yet, but have not really torn into it yet.
    So, any advice? I am having troubole finding pictures of the hardware of the type installed on this box, at least the latches. I can find new hinges just like the ones on the box now.
    I will get some photos tomorow or Sunday and post them, that may help.

I have added some photos, hopefully the titles will be descriptive enough, along with the above narrative.
    Last edited by Texas splinter; 10-18-2008, 04:00 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

Chuck Hershiser
    Abilene, Texas
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

I think I would pretty much preserve it the way it is. Put something on the rotted wood that will solidify it and tighten up the joints but keep the look it has now. I don't think many of them finished their chore in very good condition.
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Red88chevy
      Established Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Midland, Texas.

Tex,

My wife bought one at a yard sale years ago. It's in very good shape, not sure if it a original or a remake. All the pieces are white oak, about an inch thick, with brass hardware.
      Instead of using wood putty or something like on the rotten pieces, the other option is to make new pieces for it, which will take awhile. If there is enough left of the rotten pieces you could use them to get the measurements you need for the new parts.

Comment

• Texas splinter
        Established Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Abilene, TX, USA.
        • BT3100

Photos of the doors

I have added some photos, hopefully the titles will be descriptive enough, along with the above narrative.
        Last edited by Texas splinter; 12-31-2008, 09:51 PM.

Chuck Hershiser
        Abilene, Texas

Comment

• Texas splinter
          Established Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Abilene, TX, USA.
          • BT3100

More pictures, again
          Last edited by Texas splinter; 12-31-2008, 09:51 PM.

Chuck Hershiser
          Abilene, Texas

Comment

• BadeMillsap
            • Dec 2005
            • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
            • Grizzly G1023SL

If it were me ...

I think first I would try and see if using several clamps across the various separated joinery I could "square things up" just to see what really doesn't fit ... and why ... if it's due to rot (thus wood that is actually missing ... I would consider make new whatever ... but I would REALLY TRY to preserve as much of the original wood as possible even if it means there are a few "character spots" left on the piece) ... once I settled on the repair work on the box itself ... hopefully having managed to tighten things up by dry clamping (for gluing later) I would then break it down as far as possible without breaking any joints that weren't already loose and use some sort of chemical "re-finisher" to remove as much of the stain and wood putty spots as possible ... usually a little steel wool and elbow grease with those rather harsh chemicals will make a difference ... then I'd reassemble/re-glue and buy whatever hardware was missing to either match what is there or make it "look presentable" but closer to original is of course better.

Finally I'd use tung oil finish to get as uniform a finish as possible ... remembering it won't look new but if it's a family piece you aren't trying to sell it you are trying to hold onto the memories ... just my 2cents ...

(I have an old old treadle sewing machine in much the same state I just inherited from my favorite aunt ... I told her I would be honored to do the restoration to the best of my ability and be pleased to keep it in my home)

Bade
            "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
            Bade Millsap
            Bulverde, Texas
            => Bade's Personal Web Log
            => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Texas splinter
              Established Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Abilene, TX, USA.
              • BT3100

Thanks for all the good advice, SWMBO wants me to build a new upper door. I suspect that the door was "rebuilt" by someone over the last 20 years or so since we last saw this box, because it didn't look like that the last time we saw it. (We used to have it in our hause for about 5 years) I think someone, somehow broke the upper door and got it repaired/rebuilt.
              I will take your advice and attempt to tighten it up dry and see what fits. I thing the upper door has the gap between the stiles and rails to make up for the expansion of the case thru loose joints.
              I'll post updates as I progress with the project.

Chuck Hershiser
              Abilene, Texas

Comment

Working...