X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

Desk Job..project gloat!

Well, it's not a monument to my best work but it is much better than what I had before.
    I still need to build the drawers but it is functioning as it should up to this point.
    I wanted to get this far before LOML goes off to FL for a week and it wouldn't be a good idea for me to be using power tools while nobody else is around.
    As it turned out, the plywood was no better in quality than the box store stuff so I decided to use select pine for the face frames and DF for the edges of the tops. I'll go even cheaper by using up the old pressed board sections of the old desk for making the drawer boxes.
    Some of the extras: Height adjustable keyboard. A section for all of the cabling in the back to reduce wire clutter. Will have 2 long drawers for CDs, 2 large upper drawers for junk and 2 sideways file drawers.
    Thanks for looking.
    Salty
    Attached Files
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Coming along nicely.

Have you considered pull out treys for the computer cases? It looks like there's enough headroom above them. I put casters on all of my tower cases. Makes maintenance, and upgrades/swaps much easier.
    Erik

Comment

• Lee4847
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Canton, Oh
      • BT3100

something missing

Where is all the paper and other clutter you usually had on the old desk??
      Cut twice.... measure??

Comment

• Salty
        • Feb 2006
        • Akron, Ohio

Originally posted by pelligrini
        Have you considered pull out treys for the computer cases? It looks like there's enough headroom above them.
        I considered that but went with a different approach.
        There is a large opening in the back of the cabinet where the cases sit. This allows me to easily get to the back and make connections. There are 4 casters under each end unit that makes it easy to pull away from the wall. Also, there is an access hole at the back of these areas that allows me to run the wiring into the trough area. If I were to use sliding trays, I would have to leave enough wire length so that the tray could be pulled out and I didn't like the fact that this wire would then be bunched up at the back of the case.

Comment

• Salty
          • Feb 2006
          • Akron, Ohio

On the make-shift table behind me! It's waiting for me to make the drawers so it has a home.

Here is what the wire trough and back of the case area looks like.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Nice work...

Comment

Working...