X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Schleeper
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008

finishing back of cabinets

I've amassed a decent collection of plywood carcasses for our new kitchen cabinets. After I finish the ones for the wall corner cabinets, I expect to start working on the face frames. I'm planning on staining the frames before attaching them to the carcasses, but I have a question regarding the finish on the boxes themselves. The insides are all set (because I used plywood finished on one side,) but the end panels on the end cabinets will need to be finished. Ditto for the bottoms of the wall cabinets. What about the tops, backs, and sides that won't be seen? Do I need to seal them or anything?
    "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)
  • jabe
    • Apr 2006
    • Hilo, Hawaii
    • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

The cabinet backs & sides that won't be seen, need no finish coat or paint. The tops of the wall cabinets if they don't go all the way to the ceiling (30" tall), should be coated with some kind of finish as many people tend to place things on top of them. The only time I would apply a coat of paint or clear finish on all the cabinet parts is if mositure would be a problem.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by jabe
      The cabinet backs & sides that won't be seen, need no finish coat or paint. The tops of the wall cabinets if they don't go all the way to the ceiling (30" tall), should be coated with some kind of finish as many people tend to place things on top of them. The only time I would apply a coat of paint or clear finish on all the cabinet parts is if mositure would be a problem.

That's pretty much the way I set up finishing. I would finish the underside of the upper cabinets, as I consider that plane visible. I would also finish the sides that border appliances.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

Hey Cab,

Haven't you found the ply warping as one side is finished and the other isn't. I always thought that both sides have to be done to equalize absorption of moisture.

Bruce
        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
          Hey Cab,

Haven't you found the ply warping as one side is finished and the other isn't. I always thought that both sides have to be done to equalize absorption of moisture.

Bruce

No, I haven't. We're talking about cabinet fabrication, not loose shelves, or doors.

Comment

Working...