• radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

How are these drawers made?

Almost all drawers I have seen are like this:

the details like so:

ie, the front stretcher is cut for drawer openings with a jigsaw/bandsaw and glued back, and the drawers are given supports internally, etc.

But I was intrigued to see this picture of a desk in my kid's math book, and I was wondering how the drawers were installed, both the large ones on the left and the pencil drawer.
    Is it the same construction with just an oversized false front? Could I do the same with the two drawer table above? Somehow it seems to have simpler lines than the other. Or maybe it will not look the same with two drawers...?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Without seeing what they look like inside its tough to say but I would think they are simply an elaborate front on a regular draw carcass.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• just started
      • Mar 2008
      • suburban Philly

If I understand what you are asking, just make the front panels of the drawers (that you attach to the drawer boxes) in the first pic fit all the space between the legs and from the top down to the edge of the apron and you should have the same look.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by just started
        If I understand what you are asking, just make the front panels of the drawers (that you attach to the drawer boxes) in the first pic fit all the space between the legs and from the top down to the edge of the apron and you should have the same look.
        thanks, yes - but if I want to do two drawers, then I have an issue : they will bind, won't they, as they will need to practically touch?
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by radhak
          thanks, yes - but if I want to do two drawers, then I have an issue : they will bind, won't they, as they will need to practically touch?

Make the front panel like a face frame. Separate the openings as much as you want. The drawer supports (either for wood to wood, or slides) will return from the openings.

Make the drawer boxes and the add on fronts that will add to the drawer box.

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

The first is what I call traditional or face frame showing. The second is either face frameless or the Euro look.

The drawers can be made without a face frame and rely only on the slides for mounting.
            I will say they have a different look. It's the Ikea look.

It appears they would have more pinch points though. Perhaps not as got a choice for kids. The two drawers passing each other in open space could have a guillotine effect on small fingers. I don't think it is as good of a design.

I have a steel drawer stack that I kept from an old steel military desk for LOML's desk. I got rid of everything else but those drawer's. If you aren't careful, you will loose a finger closing those. The drawers are heavy and 24" deep and all steel. I don't think I need elaborate anymore as to how I know these can hurt you.
            Lee

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

Lee raises a very good point for a kids desk. Appearance seems secondary to safety to me.

I think the first set of drawers are overlay drawer fronts too, however. They just have more space around them so the face frame shows. They do not look like they are flush with the face frame, in other words. I think the grain matches decently but I do not think they were cut out of the same piece as the face frame (unless it's further down the same board).

You can dovetail drawers and have them overlay the face frame without a separate false front piece but you have to rabbett the edge of the drawer front. The part that overlaps the face frame would be thin, about 5/16 inch thick. Easier would be the false front and just decide how much space you want between drawers (enough for a young finger to fit seems prudent even if the appearance is not as pleasing).

Jim

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I never thought of that while i was trying to work out the technicality...

I shall stick with the earlier plan... thanks everybody for your input!
                - Aristotle

Comment

Working...