• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Internetlumber.com ??

Unless one of you fine folks warns me off I'm going to pull the trigger on an order of 120bf of 4/4 quarter sawn white oak from internetlumber.com.

I've done all of the online research I can think of and have generally seen nothing but good or better reviews both here, sawmillcreek and general google search.

I priced 4/4 QS white oak locally at $11.25/bf (+ tax) which I consider absolutely outrageous ... I have to buy more quantity by a bit than I actually need for my project (convertible crib/youth bed/full bed plan from Rocklear) from internetlumber BUT delivered to my house it is about $5.50/bf ... which is as good or far better a price as I have been able to find at other online dealers.

I realize there is some utility in "seeing sorting and picking" the lumber one is going to use for a project but I simply can't afford the local price.

Having said all of that ... do any of you have sage words of warning on this particular vendor OR online purchase of wood in general before I make this leap of faith?
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

I haven't been there YET but have heard nothing but good things about M&G Sawmill, west of Huntsville. Right now, QSWO is $3.95/bd and they sometimes have it on a monthly special.
    Ken

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Thats not a bad price but there seem to be quite a few hardwood and lumber suppliers in San Antonio is there any of these that can match these prices. Places like woodcraft or rockler are crazy prices but buying from a lumber yard is usually way less.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Where are you getting local pricing? Alamo Hardwoods is usually too high but Allen and Allen has decent prices.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I have bought at InternetLumber, and liked them. They were prompt in shipping, and reached fast. My opinion is, if you do not have the surfacing tools (jointer/planer) nor anybody close by who'd do it for you (even for payment), online purchase is the best you can do.

I did not lose out much in the 'sort and pick'. The best I could do that is at HD/Lowes, and their choice is limited. The best (in range and price) of my local lumber yards allows me to pick and select, but invariably over-bills me when measuring the board-feet (as in, a 1" x 6" x 9' would go down as 1" x 6.5" x 10", and it adds up fast!). The other time I tried trusting them and ordered 100 bf of white oak on the phone, and they ended up sending me almost 200 bf, and of course billed me for 225! Maybe because I ain't a 'large' customer and my complaints don't count for much, but again - you are not losing much by going online . If anything, you should feel good about getting your material with minimal fuss.

And before I forget - i too agonized a lot compare-shopping, and found InternetLumber the best among the lot.

And to clarify - I know it should be different in other parts; PA for one seems to have a number of good lumber sources; among others. Location does matter.

If cost were the only issue, the lumber yards win hands down - for all their shenanigans, I'd have continued buying locally if I could manage surfacing, but I have no space/budget for a jointer/planer, and need wood for just a couple of projects a year...
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
            • Nov 2004
            • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
            • Delta Contractor Saw

You should be able to do much better than $11 locally. FWIW and it's been about 4 months and the cost of fuel probably has raised the price, but I buy most of my QS oak from Mike Morgan at

http://www.palumber.com/

He cuts me a good deal since I do a fair volume but my last 300 BF wound up being right around $4.75 including freight.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

Internetlumber.com still waffeling ...

Thanks for the replies so far ... I'll look into the other online options suggested.

Pappy ... yes it was Alamo hardwood ... I'll check Allen & Allen today just to be sure I'm not missing a local opportunity. I looked into some of the places in Austin as well but nothing jumped out at me.

Radhak ... I do have a planer and am anticipating rough sawn lumber ... but at $11.25/bf it ought to come S4S, cut to length by the piece and all mortise and tenons cut and dry fitted.
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

I have a local source in San Jose (Global Wood Source) and will soon have access to others in the Sacramento and Reno areas (that's what the "Tomato" is for!) that I'll have to compare. Only problem for those of us on the left coast with ordering from Internetlumber is shipping, which costs almost as much as the lumber itself.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                  • Grizzly G1023SL

Yes, the shipping is killer ...

The cost to ship to me is essentially "half" of the total price ... on "lago"s suggestion I am looking now at visiting M&G Sawmill in Huntsville ... it's a bit of a drive for me (about 200 miles each way) BUT ... even at $4/gal and 15mpg in my truck it's still cheaper than internetlumber shipping ... and I get to go to a sawmill ... seems like a good choice ... trying to set up a visit for next Tuesday ... will report my findings if/when I make the trip.

This board is the greatest!
                  Bade Millsap
                  Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

At $11+, does he mask his face !?

Rough white oak here is around $3/bf; IIRC, your best bet with InternetLumber is to order at least 100bf+, as their rates are lower by slabs, and the shipping gets bearable.

Of course, if you order 500bf, it should work out to around $2.20 shipped to you, and then maybe you could sell some of it to your local guy !

They used to have HobbyPaks - 20bf of RedOak shipped for $95, can't see that anymore.
                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• smorris
                      • Apr 2003
                      • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I've used Internetlumber.com a couple times and been happy with the results. The price was reasonable, the shipping a little high but worth it for delivery to my garage door.
                      --
                      Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• ke4rdb
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Mooresville, NC
                        • Ridgid TS3650

For Internet ordering try Wall Lumber.
                        www.walllumber.com
                        see prices below

QUARTER SAWN WHITE OAK:

4/4 Select $4.80
                        5/4 Select $5.00

White Oak (Quarter Sawn) $127.00 Delivered
                        Above prices are for approximately 20 bd. ft. bundle of clear 1 Face (except for cedar and white pine which have tight knots or lumber listed as 1C + Btr.) 3" - 10" wide * 3' - 5' long. Lengths and widths are random.

James
                        Credidi me felem vidisse!

Comment

• Holbren
                          • Oct 2004
                          • Heathrow, FL.

Originally posted by lago
                          I haven't been there YET but have heard nothing but good things about M&G Sawmill, west of Huntsville. Right now, QSWO is $3.95/bd and they sometimes have it on a monthly special.
                          Ken
                          Haven't had any personal experience either but have also heard good things about M&G.
                          Brian
                          Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                          www.holbren.com

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                            • Grizzly G1023SL

Will visit M&G Sawmill 9/9/2008 ... review to follow

I spoke to Michael Carnline (M&G Sawmill) yesterday on the phone to confirm someone would be at the mill next Tuesday ... I didn't want to drive 200+ miles to find a "gone fishing" sign. He confirmed he would be there open for business ... I asked about his supply of white oak and he said he was well supplied.

My buddy and I will drive up ... try to remember a camera so we can take some pics to post and HOPEFULLY return with my F150 fairly well loaded with fairly priced, "just right" wood for our projects.

Assuming nothing interrupts this plan I will post my impressions after the visit for what it is worth.

Bade
                            Bade Millsap
                            Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by BadeMillsap
                              I spoke to Michael Carnline (M&G Sawmill) yesterday on the phone to confirm someone would be at the mill next Tuesday ... I didn't want to drive 200+ miles to find a "gone fishing" sign. He confirmed he would be there open for business ... I asked about his supply of white oak and he said he was well supplied.

My buddy and I will drive up ... try to remember a camera so we can take some pics to post and HOPEFULLY return with my F150 fairly well loaded with fairly priced, "just right" wood for our projects.

Assuming nothing interrupts this plan I will post my impressions after the visit for what it is worth.

Bade

What price did he quote you?
                              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                              techzibits.com

Comment

Working...