Rocker Repair Update

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • 15216
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

    #1

    Rocker Repair Update

    Well, what started off as a coffee break repair job, turned out to be a lunch break interference the next day. Initially the two breaks were almost symmetrical to the seat. When I checked the rest of the seat, I found another glue line that was bad toward the center of the seat. Since gluing that one along with the two outside ones at the same time presented a challenge in getting all three aligned with glue in place and having just enough clamping pressure as not to squeeze out all the glue, or have enough to make a good bond.

    So, the first glue ups were the two outside breaks. When they cured, I used the front vertical arm spindles as spreader points. Using a sized piece of wood as a wedge, got just enough gap to inject some glue. Then used a Klemmy clamp on the outside of the spindle to clamp up.

    Sometimes when a project is analyzed and a procedural order or method is deemed to be the best for the circumstance, hopefully we're right most of the time. Then, there are those times that...well you know.
    .
  • leehljp
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • 8803
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

    #2
    Originally posted by cabinetman
    Sometimes when a project is analyzed and a procedural order or method is deemed to be the best for the circumstance, hopefully we're right most of the time. Then, there are those times that...well you know.
    .
    Agreed! For me, if the solution is not directly obvious to a simple problem, I look it over and play all kinds of scenarios in my mind. On a problem like this one, I have to think it over and eliminate screw-ups while LOML thinks I am just procrastinating!
    Hank Lee

    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

    Comment

    • cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • 15216
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

      #3
      Originally posted by leehljp
      Agreed! For me, if the solution is not directly obvious to a simple problem, I look it over and play all kinds of scenarios in my mind. On a problem like this one, I have to think it over and eliminate screw-ups while LOML thinks I am just procrastinating!

      That whole planning process is a real learning process. I can't even think of the times that my decisions seemed so logical, and then there is a glitch. What's worse, is the whole painting yourself into a corner thing. When the decision made only compounds the problem. Like on this chair. Trying to figure out the order process helped me decide what to do, something like playing chess. The wrong choice may have left me with a no "out" situation, like a "check mate".

      And again, I gotta say...then there are those times...
      .

      Comment

      • Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • 7091
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

        #4
        I've noted with some concern that thinking a job will be easy usually indicates that I have missed something...

        I've also noted that everything you do takes longer than your woman thinks it should...

        Comment

        Working...