Question for Ridgid table saw owners

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • 4503
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

    #1

    Question for Ridgid table saw owners

    I'm fixing-up a Ryobi drum sander. The stand (which I've repainted) only included two of the four feet. There is no parts list for the stand of this sander. The feet have a 3/8-16 thread.

    The feet on the Ridgid 3650 look like they may be what I need. And they are available fairly inexpensively online (at about $1 each they are much cheaper than what I'd have to pay McMaster). Can anyone confirm that the 3650 feet have a 3/8-16 thread? Can anyone tell me the approx. length of the stud (can't be any longer than about 2").

    Thanks.
  • just started
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 642
    • suburban Philly

    #2
    That is a standard thread for most 'feet' and also for casters with threaded stems. You should be able to get them with nylon inserts (white or black most common, though colors also available) in True Value or Ace hardware stores, and maybe a Borg also, for less than the $1 plus shipping from an online source.

    Comment

    • cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • 4503
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

      #3
      Originally posted by just started
      That is a standard thread for most 'feet' and also for casters with threaded stems. You should be able to get them with nylon inserts (white or black most common, though colors also available) in True Value or Ace hardware stores, and maybe a Borg also, for less than the $1 plus shipping from an online source.
      I've explored all the local avenues:

      (1) My local Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards carry nothing with a 3/8-16 thread.

      (2) There is a larger Ace hardware store in town that DOES carry them w/ 3/8-16 studs, but they are steel feet and I'd sorta rather have rubber as the unit is going on a slippery tile floor and the rubber should keep it from skating. Also, this Ace hardware store only has two feet (well duh guys, could you stock four?). And they are about $7 each.

      (3) Rockler has them with steel feet with stems that are too long.

      (4) Woodcraft has them with plastic feet (they'd still slide too good on tile) and they're part of a package of other stuff that costs $20.

      Seriously, the units from the Ridgid are $1 each. I'll even happily pay the $5 handling fee on my $4 order and get what I really want for about what I'd pay locally for what I don't want.

      I suppose I'll just go to Home Depot tomorrow and check the feet there with a 3/8-16 nut.

      Comment

      • ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • 2553
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

        #4
        While assembling my 3650 I noticed that the bolt heads and the nuts didn't solidly match up to either ASE or metric wrenches. That said, I did *not * measure the thread pitch so I don't really know but I wouldn't bet on it. I say that because I asked a friend what was up with the disparity in wrench fit-up. He works in QC for a large crane manufacturer and he stated that there is a third sizing system that drives everyone nuts. If I remember I'll call him and post an edit about this.
        Last edited by ironhat; 06-16-2008, 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling
        Blessings,
        Chiz

        Comment

        • cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • 4503
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

          #5
          Originally posted by ironhat
          While assembling my 3650 I noticed that the bolt heads and the nuts didn't solidly match up to either ASE or metric wrenches. That said, I did *not * measure the thread pitch so I don't really know but I wouldn't bet on it. I say that because I asked a friend what was up with the disparity in wrench fit-up. He works in QC for a large crane manufacturer and he stated that there is a third sizing system that drives everyone nuts. If I remember I'll call him and post an edit about this.
          Interesting cause I already noticed same assembling the stand.

          I did happen over to HD with a 3/8-16 nut and did get down on my hands and spin it onto one of the feet on a 3650, and it did fit. So I went ahead and ordered the feed for $1.20 each. I also ordered a few other things I needed (wanted) and should have everything I need by this next weekend.

          Comment

          • LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • 4890
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

            #6
            Next time, for whatever size bolt/thread and feet, consider a used sporting goods store, and hockey pucks. You can drill and screw through them, and use whatever size thread is required.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

            Comment

            • just started
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2008
              • 642
              • suburban Philly

              #7
              Now that's a great idea. Are they solid all the way through so you can countersink the bolt head?
              Last edited by just started; 06-17-2008, 06:15 PM. Reason: sp

              Comment

              • cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • 4503
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

                #8
                Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                Next time, for whatever size bolt/thread and feet, consider a used sporting goods store, and hockey pucks. You can drill and screw through them, and use whatever size thread is required.
                Yeah, I've heard of that but never tried it. For this application I don't think it would be optimum, but I am absolutely going to try that in the future for some other sort of stand.

                Comment

                • LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 4890
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

                  #9
                  Originally posted by just started
                  Now that's a great idea. Are they solid all the through so you can countersink the bolt head?
                  Originally posted by cgallery
                  Yeah, I've heard of that but never tried it. For this application I don't think it would be optimum, but I am absolutely going to try that in the future for some other sort of stand.
                  I believe they are. I found out about them in about three places at the same time (all dealing with compressors and antivibrate).
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

                  Comment

                  • ironhat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 2553
                    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

                    #10
                    That 'other' standard for fasteners

                    Not that it matters much now but I found the standard of the class of fasteners that aren't ASE or metric. It's ISO and the thread pitch can also be different but not necessarily. That's all I've got. Glad you got the solution solved by using your head!
                    Blessings,
                    Chiz

                    Comment

                    Working...