• Show
Clear All
  • dkerfoot
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Holland, Michigan
    • Craftsman 21829

Using Cherry for Outdoor Furniture?

Does anyone have any information about the use of Cherry for outdoor furniture/projects?

I have the chance to pick up a load of cherry rips - essentially furring strip size for dirt cheap. I have seen some stores selling cherry outdoor furniture, but I can't find any information on its suitability and weathering characteristics.

Anyone have any good experience, references and/or links?

Thanks!
    Doug Kerfoot
    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
    KeyLlama.com
  • sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

I don't see why not. What else can you really use it for given it's small dimensions? As long as you put a good outdoor sealer of some sort on it. I don't see a problem.

Comment

• Hoover
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • USA.

Here's a list of suitable woods for use outdoors

Table 1. Decay-Resistant Species Baldcypress (old growth)
      Catalpa
      Cedar
      Cherry (black)
      Chestnut
      Cypress (Arizona)
      Juniper
      Locust (black)
      Mesquite
      Mulberry (red)
      Oak (bur, chestnut, Gambel, Oregon white, post, white)
      Osage-orange
      Redwood
      Sassafras
      Walnut (black)
      Yew (Pacific)

http://www.toolbase.org/Best-Practic...posed-outdoors
      Last edited by Hoover; 06-08-2008, 07:31 PM. Reason: cited source of information
      No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Cherry isn't usually used for outdoor use, mostly for interior furniture and fixtures and moulding. If it's cheap enough, you might try it for outside use properly coated, and I would use just a Tung oil finish. It will get darker with subjection to light, and be prepared for regular maintenance and re-oiling.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

As long as you put a good weather protecting finish on it and as CabMan says keep it renewed it should stay reasonably safe from the elements. A lot of the prefered woods for outdoor use are also bug resistant e.g. Teak, Cedar and Redwood. Not sure wether bugs like Cherry or not.

If you are getting a good enough deal its worth a try. When you say that its mostly "furring strip" size do you mean 1x2? Wether its for inside or out thats going to mean a lot of lamination to make stock strong enough for legs.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

I did a beach out of Cherry a couple years ago. It will become nearly black pretty quickly if in a sunny spot (I can take a pic if you want) and ground contact should be minimized as it will rot and be eaten by insects.

I was using up a bunch of shorts so I didn't mind, but cherry wouldn't be a first choice for outdoors. For what you have in mind, go for it.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• dkerfoot
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Holland, Michigan
              • Craftsman 21829

They are cheap as in $10 for 100 9' x 1 5/8" x 5/8" strips

I have been planning on building an Adirondack(ish) chair similar to the attached anyway. I was planning on cedar, but cherry would look really nice I think. I don't know if I would laminate the strips for the legs/sides or just use solid wood. 5/8" is a little thin for the slats, but I think they would still work well, provided they don't have to be planed down much.

Of course, I could also use them for face frames, edge banding, and laminate them together for ... well, I am not sure yet! I am thinking that a slatted outdoor table might be really nice too.

A company selling cherry outdoor furniture claims it is insect resistant.

This is one of those solution in search of a problem deals - I wouldn't pay a lot for them, but that is just too much cherry to walk away from, even if it is broken into 100 pieces!
              Attached Files
              Doug Kerfoot
              "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
              KeyLlama.com

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

I wonder what they/others consider outdoors?

It's one thing to be outdoors on the lawn, it is quite another, to be on a porch/gazebo, etc.

(soil contact, insects, rain, sun, etc)
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Cabot's makes a product called Australian Timber Oil which is purported to have UV blocking component. The swing that I made isn't a good example for you to use since it's on a deck and seldom see direct sunlight. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ght=Chiz+swing
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

Working...