Recycle lumber from bleachers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • duragauge
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006
    • 20

    #1

    Recycle lumber from bleachers?

    This Craigslist ad has piqued my interest.

    A local school is auctioning off the lumber from their gymnasium bleachers. A total of 372 16-foot lengths of 1x8 and 1x9 Doug Fir from the 1950's.

    As a relative newbie, I don't have a specific project in mind, but am curious to see what you guys think the possibilities are.

    -Nolan
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • 4503
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

    #2
    Because they were flat cut the grain is a pretty strong cathedral gain. I love quarter-sawn fir with that tight, vertical grain. This stuff I could do without.

    Comment

    • cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • 15216
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

      #3
      Douglas Fir, considered a construction grade lumber has many uses. As advertised it looks like it has a finish. If it's cheap enough, would make for good utility fabrications, such as shop tables, shelving, bench frames, picture frames, etc. It could be used as is, stripped, stained or painted, and used for hobby/furniture projects, or even for those joinery techniques to practice on.
      .

      Comment

      • kevincan
        Established Member
        • Oct 2006
        • 181
        • Central Illinois
        • Craftsman 21829

        #4
        That is a lot of wood. You would have to have a lot of projects for this or people to buy the lumber. It would be a lot of work to get the wood off the bleachers also. You also have to consider the time and expense to strip the finish off the wood before you use it.

        So with that being said if you have a use for it and the price is right it would be worthwhile.

        Kevin

        Comment

        • poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • 3196
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

          #5
          I agree with the other posters. If they will only sell the whole bundle thats a heck of a lot of wood. Do you have somewhere to store it?
          Jon

          Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
          ________________________________

          We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

          Comment

          • duragauge
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2006
            • 20

            #6
            I have the space and the time to dismantle it, but I'm not sure I have enough projects or enough $$. I just learned of another lot that was offered a few months ago by a different school in the region and they wanted $15,000, which came out to $2.25 lbf.

            Comment

            • poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • 3196
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

              #7
              Originally posted by duragauge
              I have the space and the time to dismantle it, but I'm not sure I have enough projects or enough $$. I just learned of another lot that was offered a few months ago by a different school in the region and they wanted $15,000, which came out to $2.25 lbf.
              Thats crazy I wonder if they got it? You could buy new HW such as poplar for less than that from my local lumber yard. I have picked up odds and ends of quailty HW such as mahogany, cherry & walnut for that price or less on my local CL from cabinet shops clearing out old stock. If you dont have a specific project then just keep you eyes peeled for a real bargin.
              Jon

              Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
              ________________________________

              We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

              Comment

              • Salty
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2006
                • 690
                • Akron, Ohio

                #8
                Oh but the varied aromas from such timbers would be interesting.....not!
                Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

                Comment

                • Daryl
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2004
                  • 831
                  • .

                  #9
                  I imagine after fifty years the tread boards will have a bit of grit ground into them. THe seat boards will likely have lots of chewing gum stuck on the back side.
                  Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

                  Comment

                  • OpaDC
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 393
                    • Pensacola, FL
                    • Ridgid TS3650

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Daryl
                    THe seat boards will likely have lots of chewing gum stuck on the back side.
                    But just think what the underside of these boards have SEEN in those 50 years. OH if bleachers could talk!
                    _____________
                    Opa

                    second star to the right and straight on til morning

                    Comment

                    • iceman61
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007
                      • 699
                      • West TN
                      • Bosch 4100-09

                      #11
                      Originally posted by OpaDC
                      But just think what the underside of these boards have SEEN in those 50 years. OH if bleachers could talk!
                      Yeah but the topside probably smells like a$$. Fifty something years worth.

                      Comment

                      • Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 10490
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

                        #12
                        i was thinking it would make some T&G paneling for a den but it looks like you would only be able to get 7' or so lengths between the bolt holes.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

                        Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

                        Comment

                        • kevincan
                          Established Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • 181
                          • Central Illinois
                          • Craftsman 21829

                          #13
                          I have to agree with poolhound - for $2.25 bf you should be able to find some hardwood for that price. Also at that price are you removing it or is that already done?

                          The other use for this would be for flooring. But I think at that price and with all the mill work you would have to do it would not be worth it.

                          Kevin

                          Comment

                          Working...