• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

$41K door latch

Ever see a glass door latch worth $41,000? Now you have.

We've just closed on a pair of condos today that an extremely particular buyer joined together. That little latch I fabricated at the last minute saved us $41k a day in penalties. Here's a long story submitted for your amusement.

The latch goes to a sandblasted 1/2" glass door that encloses a water closet in one of the master bathrooms. After the shop drawings were approved and the door installed the buyer demanded a latch. The problem was that the glass was already tempered. After showing the client several options from different manufacturers, each one unaccepted (long story), the ball got dropped. The client was about to refuse to sign the Unit Acceptance unless there was a latch. This was also the day before the contractual deadline for completion of the remodel. It was going to take another 4-6 weeks to get the stainless one we designed fabricated.

My boss found the latch mechanism about noon. I asked him how will it attach to the glass. I laughed at the double sided tape idea, and the silicon idea too. He tried the tape on his office window and the latch stayed in place for less than half a second. Told ya... The clients were making a final inspection at 3:30. I tild him that silicon or epoxy will not work either there is no surface area for a bond, the latch mechanism will get gummed up and what are you going to do about the holes? I think I can fabricate something.

I took the latch and headed to my shop (15 minute drive) at 12:45. I knew I had some 3/4x1/8 alum. bar stock, I thought I might have some 1" material. I'm still trying to figure out how to bend it on the drive over. Bending it into a U shape was a challenge. The first 90 bend was easy using my machinist vise. I thought I'd try to do the second around some 1/2" MDF. I caught the wood on fire heating the metal for the bend. It really didn't bend very well either; it ballooned out at the corner. I resorted to beating the he** out of it with my large hammer. I was about to call the office and tell them my idea isn't working. Naa, I can make this work! There was even more forceful beating because my torch ran out of fuel. A short length of miter track helped to form the last bend, it was about the only 1/2" solid thing I could find.

The time was getting late but I finally got the shape right. Pretty beat up though. I resorted to putting a brushed finish on it with a coarse wire wheel put on my grinder. The dings were not coming out too well by buffing and the grinder was making a mess of it too.

I knew I had some machine screws (I always have a large assortment). Luckily, I had some #8s that were just the right length, maybe a 32nd too long. The holes drilled easy and quickly, used a spare screw to tap them as I didn't have one that size. It was 2:30 when I headed back.

Stopped by the office to get the keys to the unit and to show them the fabrication. I said it wasn’t too bad for a woodworker. I’m really, really hoping that the glass wasn’t wider than a ˝” at this time. The latch slid on perfectly with a couple sheets of paper for shims. I left the site at 3:15. They got their latch, we got our certificate, and them we closed the 2 million dollar deal today.
    Attached Files
    Erik
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

That's a great story. You should pat yourself on the back for the mere creativity under pressure. Was the rotating latch on the inside, and the vertical handle on the outside? My question is with respect to only being able to lock/unlock from one side.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

The entire handle/latch piviots and the narrow end rotates into a reciever plate in the door jamb. The whole latch operation was from the inside, but it had to be able to be opened from the outside in an emergency. Like one of their grandkids shutting themselves in. It can easily be opened with a blade.

I found some really nice slide on locks; but they couldn't be opened from the outside, the grandkids would loose the key.. etc. etc.

The clients were pretty hard to deal with, but their lawyer was a total nut job. That latch was easy compared to getting the Condo exhibit drawings revised to his approval.
      Erik

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Very very nice work under pressure and I am sure your boss will remember this.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by crokett
          Very very nice work under pressure and I am sure your boss will remember this.
          Yep, he's gonna expect you to pull a miracle fix out of your a** everytime a problem hits the fan!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

When I brought a custom made USA glass shower unit back to my Japanese home in 1992, I learned something about shower door designs. Our Japan home did not allow the door to swing "out" the way we wanted it to so we had to have the door designed to open "inward". We were warned strongly by the US maker how dangerous that "could" be. If someone is inside the shower and passes out and falls against the door, (or slips, banging their head on a wall, gets knocked unconscious and falls against the door) -
            1. can a weaker person shove the door open enough to get in;
            2. more importantly, will trying to open the door in that situation break the glass and cause a million shards to fall on the victim.

Shower doors that only inward are not a problem until that one in a million situation happens.

In the case posted with the latch - it locks from the inside . . . the same situation arises.
            Last edited by leehljp; 05-09-2008, 09:57 PM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• footprintsinconc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
              • BT3100

nice thinking and craftsmanship under pressure! so are you now going to make more of these and market them at a lower cost?

Comment

• Salty
                • Feb 2006
                • Akron, Ohio

I'm wondering if the adhesive for rear view mirrors would have worked. I don't know if the bond would hold up though under the stress of someone pushing against the door with the latch in place.
                Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• germdoc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Omaha, NE
                  • BT3000--the gray ghost

Very creative!

Not to go off on a tangent, but a $2 million condo? You could buy 4 or 5 prime properties on the water, 4-5000 SF each, on an acre of land, in my neck of the woods for that price...
                  Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• cwithboat
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                    • Craftsman Pro 21829

There's four seconds on the clock
                    The QB takes the snap
                    He's running hard down the left sideline
                    Ball's in the air
                    He leaps
                    He's caught it!!!
                    Feet down
                    TOUCHDOWN!
                    regards,
                    Charlie
                    A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                    Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by germdoc
                      Very creative!

Not to go off on a tangent, but a $2 million condo? You could buy 4 or 5 prime properties on the water, 4-5000 SF each, on an acre of land, in my neck of the woods for that price...
                      They put two $1mil units togeather. The property is in downtown Fort Worth too. Those are a lot cheaper than a high rise being built right now. Last I heard those units are going for $500-$600+ a square foot.
                      Erik

Comment

• RAFlorida
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2008
                        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                        • Ryobi BT3000

It's amazing what pressure will do.

Being a retired electrician, I can relate to your problem with the 41k latch. I found out early in the trade when time and pressure is on or against you, you can really do the impossible! Happy it worked out for you so well. I must add that it looks professional too.

Comment

Working...