Ideas for storage box for chess pieces?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Two Much
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • 365
    • Long Island, NY
    • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

    #1

    Ideas for storage box for chess pieces?

    Hi, I want to make a box to store our chess pieces. We made the board a couple of years ago,
    and have the chess pieces on top of the board, however I would like the option of putting them in a box. I was thinking of a box with a glass top and glass front so that the pieces would be visible. Has anyone ever made something like that?

    Pictures of small boxes would be a great inspiration.

    Another thing I was thinking of what about a pull away chess box mounting to the front of a slim end table, or just being a permanent part of an end table (I've seen display coffee tables like this)
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 3152
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

    #2
    what kind of board did you make? Stylistically, not chess or checker.

    You may be able to incoprorate the storage as part of the board, although it may not have the visibility aspect that you are wanting.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

    If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

    Comment

    • Two Much
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • 365
      • Long Island, NY
      • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

      #3
      Hi Mike, we made a flat board out of walnut, maple and QS white oak.
      It also has 4 small feet under neath it to raise it off the table slightly.

      I know what you mean about making a box under neath the chess board.
      I want to be able to see the pieces, that is why I
      didn't want a storage box under it.

      I also plan on making the chess box out of the same wood as the chess board.
      I have been working my brain on overtime trying to incorporate some
      kind of checker board pattern to it.


      Also the box itself, I don't want it too big, as I plan on storing it on
      a narrow end table next to the sofa.

      Comment

      • LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • 6693
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

        #4
        What about making a lift-off top for the board, with a glass top and possibly glass panels on one or more sides? IOW, you'd just continue to "store" the pieces in their assigned starting positions, as you're doing now, but the lid would protect both them and the board.

        (You don't say where or how you're currently storing the board itself, so this may idea not work for you if you need to save space.)
        Larry

        Comment

        • pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • 4217
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

          #5
          What about loosing the feet of the table and building a beveled base, like 45 degrees extending out and down from the top, and store the pieces in the sides.
          Erik

          Comment

          • Two Much
            Established Member
            • Mar 2003
            • 365
            • Long Island, NY
            • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

            #6
            Hi Larry, When we made this chessboard, we sized it to fit into the glass insert of our
            brunch table in the den...the table was flat sawn oak, it was a frame with a glass insert.

            So we took out the glass, dropped it down several inches and mounted the chess board.
            It looked ok, but it collected a lot of dust, and dog hair...inside we stored the remotes and
            chess pieces. However the tired old flat sawn oak table looked awful...so I went back to the drawing board and designed new QS oak tops for the tables, and clad them in walnut to match the chessboard...we also added wood strips under the tables to make shelves under neath for more storage. The bottom of the tables we just refinished to match.

            Back to the box, so now we have another problem, I don't want the pieces displayed all the time (small grandchildren) and flying dog hair too...that's the reason for a separate display box.
            The chess pieces were a gift from our son and although I want to see them all the time, I
            don't want to be dusting them constantly.

            Comment

            • ksum
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2007
              • 69

              #7
              A pictur eof the table mmight make me change my mind, but from what I understand, could you modify the table further to include displayed storage for the pieces? I am thinking two boxes built int othe table top that have a glass lid that is flush with the table top. 1 box on either side of the chess board stroing 1 player's pieces. You could forgo the glass and keep it wood if you didn't want the display factor. This would keep the pieces displayed, yet out of small have reach, and eliminat ethe dust/hair issue. Make the compartments with either a "pillow" in each to hold the paying pieces or just a grid of compartments.

              Of course, there is the another way around this. Teach the kids that is is not for playing with. I know most will dispute this, but from personal experience, it is not that difficult. I have a girl who is almost 5 and we never "child proofed" for her. She was taught to keep her hands off and always did. Friends of mine have 5 grandchildren from 2 of their children. The kids were told that they could not touch certain things and never did. Al has a lot of little things all over his coffee table. LOTS of temptation for small hands, and never had a problem.

              So: Build a storage box and child proof when needed, or teach them not to touch. In the long run, the later really is easier. It just takes more up front discipline on both your side and the kids.

              Karl

              Comment

              • Two Much
                Established Member
                • Mar 2003
                • 365
                • Long Island, NY
                • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

                #8
                Pelli, thanks your your response, but not sure what you mean.
                Ksum, we have already started the 2 1/2 and 3 year old grandkids
                on their chess lessons and they are doing quite well...They respect the game and the
                the chess pieces, however we have 6 grandkids and a grandpuppy...the 7th
                grandchild is arriving in May as well as another grandpuppy, when everyone is here,
                the pieces would be best served in a display box -- unless they are being used.


                how do I post a photo here?

                Comment

                • Two Much
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • 365
                  • Long Island, NY
                  • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

                  #9
                  ok, I think I figured it out.
                  I can also put the box on the second table where the music box is,
                  that is if it's too big for the end table.
                  Attached Files

                  Comment

                  • pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 4217
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

                    #10
                    Originally posted by cliffandjoann
                    Pelli, thanks your your response, but not sure what you mean.
                    OK, after seeing your photos it probably wouldn't work. I don't think there is enough room on your coffee table to execute it. A hinged glass door could have taken care of the dust and dog hairs.

                    This is a rough cross section of the concept.
                    Attached Files
                    Erik

                    Comment

                    • Two Much
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • 365
                      • Long Island, NY
                      • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

                      #11
                      Ok Pelli, now I see what you mean. Thank you for taking the time to do the design.

                      Edit: Pelli...I just took another look at your design and 'got' your concept. It is so clever. I like the idea that the the pieces can be displayed for viewing. Thanks for the idea. I will store it in our future project ideas.

                      We attached the small feet we have with velcro -- they are under the board (not visible) I wanted to be able to dust easily, that was the reason to push the feet in...I didn't visualize that the board would look like it was floating, it actually was a bonus because I like it. That's another reason I don't want a box under the board, I want to keep the look light, as well as being able to easily remove the board and stand it on it's side by the sofa if I need the table top clear.

                      Getting back to my original question...is there anyone out there with unique boxes for some inspiration? I usually draw up all my projects, but this one... even though it's a small project
                      I can't come up with a nice design incorporating wood and glass, everything I drew up so far looks forced and clunky.

                      Joann
                      Last edited by Two Much; 04-12-2008, 09:08 AM. Reason: second look!

                      Comment

                      • ksum
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2007
                        • 69

                        #12
                        2 ideas come to mind. Both would have the pieces laying on their backs.

                        1) A piece that would go between the 2 tables, joining then into 1 wide table with the pieces displayed there-in.

                        2) A box just thick enough to hold the pieces, complimenting the board, that goes on top of the board as if you were building up a pyramid. Maybe even make feet similar to those on the board so this appears to float over the board. The proportions would be similar to those of the board itself. Maybe it covers the pawn's starting position squares, save the outside squares. You would end up with 3 rows of pieces for each color, or even 5 rows with the center row being half of each color, or even the kings and queens turned 90 degrees to the rest.

                        Comment

                        • Two Much
                          Established Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • 365
                          • Long Island, NY
                          • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

                          #13
                          ksum, you sure are a great idea man. I get ideas like this all the time, and here I think I'm the only one. I gave the one table idea a lot of thought before we decided to go with two tables.
                          I like the lighter look of the two tables, also the tables are easy to move if one person needs the table closer for playing chess or for working on the laptop they slide back and forth easily.

                          I have an antique chess table in the living room, that was Cliff's grandfathers table. It's a beautiful table with an inlaid chess board in it. Sadly, I ruined the top with water (from plants)
                          I have been thinking about making a new top for it...just not sure if we should make it a chess
                          table again or just another chess table...we could also try and restore it, but boy that would be a lot of work.
                          Thanks for keeping your thinking cap on.

                          Joann

                          Comment

                          • ksum
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jan 2007
                            • 69

                            #14
                            Joann,

                            I like the two tables idea over one as well as well. Personally, I prefer no coffee tables, but that is another story.

                            In case I was not clear, the single table idea I posed was to allow for two tables when the pieces are displayed on the board, and one table when they are stored out of small hand's reach. Basically you would have two tables most of the time, as you have them now. A third table piece (maybe it spend's most of the time hidden under the couch if your's has a skirt that reaches the floor) is attached to the two tables only when needed. Make it really interesting by working the design so it compliments the chess board and it could even stand alone with the playing board when a future, unforseen life/decorating change occurs. I don't have a full final design in mind, just an idea on the direction.

                            Karl

                            Comment

                            Working...