• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Easy To Make Platform Bed

Are you considering a platform bed? Construction can be as simple as a box or boxes and an outer frame. The diagram below are for sizes which require two base units and two platforms.

The supporting box or boxes can be any substrate, and it will be the dimension of the mattress thickness and the platform thickness, usually 3/4".

For most bed heights, 18" - 20" will provide a comfortable sitting height. For integrating any drawer space in the side of the platform or base, you may figure in the possibility of one drawer of a depth enough for some storage of maybe a blanket, or comforter. For clothing, the possibility increases.

For a finished hardwood bed appearance, the supporting box and framework can be made from a hardwood plywood of your choice. For a finished mattress size of 6", and a 3/4" platform, and to stay under a 20" overall height, a 13" or less height box will work. The top corners will receive a corner gusset to maintain it's squareness and provide a point of attachment. Usually 2 cross members to the box with gusseted corners provide all the support necessary. This attachment can be as simple as using a screw or installing a "T" nut and using a bolt through the platform to the gusset. In using either screws or "T" nuts to join the two bases and mount the platform or platforms, assembly and disassembly is quick and easy for one person.

Spacing for the box under the outer frame may give room to mount lights underneath the platform and 6" to 8" is wide enough. So, the width of the box would be the dimension of the width of the outer frame, less the thickness of the frame for both sides, and the spacing desired. The length of the box would be the length of the bed, less the thickness of the frame at the foot, and the distance you want.

For example: A double (full) mattress is 54" x 75". Allowing an inch gap all around for bedding, the inner dimension of the platform would be 56" x 77". To that outer edge you would mount the outer frame, and have the top of the frame approximately 1" above the platform. This height is short enough to allow comfortable seating on the edge of the mattress. The 1" height at the head of the bed will allow for an attachment of a headboard.

Platform type beds work well with just a mattress. Of the ones I've made "polyfoam" mattresses work well, and offer good support. They can be ordered in different densities. If you order a rounded corner mattress, you can make the foot corners rounded horizontally to make getting around it safer. Or a solid corner piece with a radius will provide an "eased" corner.

As for creating a "storage" system for the underside, the bed could be made taller, the outer frame could be modified in design to install drawers. This sketch shows the basic layout of the base and platform for sizes requiring 2 bases:

Here is an example of a simple "captains" type platform bed with drawers:

• dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

I like the clean, modern look of platform beds. I've heard, though, that mattress life is reduced by not having a box spring support under the mattress offering some "give." Anyone have more than anecdotal support for that?
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by dlminehart
      I like the clean, modern look of platform beds. I've heard, though, that mattress life is reduced by not having a box spring support under the mattress offering some "give." Anyone have more than anecdotal support for that?

Not that I'm that cheap, but I made my bed in 1977 and used a polyfoam mattress, which is flippable. Other than cleaning, and an "airing out", it's as it was when new. No lumps or waves. For some innerspring mattresses, a box spring allows the spring action to depress in the "down" position, and whether that enables early failure I can't answer.

I've never had any complaints of failures due to not having a box spring. Some of the marketing may have to do with making the purchase of two pieces, when just the mattress will do if evenly supported. Some innerspring mattresses have a topper layer that has to be always up, and is not reversible.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

My grandson was over this morning. He said he was thinking about making a bed for his little boy. This just might be the ticket for him. Thanks for the post.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• ejs1097
          Established Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I like that design also.

I have an interspring mattress that's been sitting in a waterbed frame for 8 years. It's still in good shape.
          Eric
          Be Kind Online

Comment

• Wood_workur
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Ohio
            • Ryobi bt3100-1

That is nice looking. I'm in need of a box spring (I gave mine up when I got a bunk bed and my sister took it because the left the bunk bed) and my bed is about .5" away from being too short for me. When I stretch out (I always sleep like that) my hand will fit between my head and the board, touching both, and my feet will touch the base of the bed.

Off to autocad to draw this up some more....

I love the idea of drawers as well. I might have to raise the thing up a little to fit more drawers in there.
            Alex

Comment

• Slik Geek
              • Dec 2006
              • Lake County, Illinois
              • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by dlminehart
              I've heard, though, that mattress life is reduced by not having a box spring support under the mattress offering some "give."
              I've only heard that from people who were trying to sell me a "complete" set.

I've seen some box springs that aren't much different than a piece of plywood with respect to "give", so I'm doubtful about the above claim.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I have been wondering about the need for a box spring for a long time. My mom, who had osteoporosis very bad and hated the height of a mattress and box springs, so I made a solid foundation and she used the mattress only the last few years of her life.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• gjat
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                  • BT3100

I've made two 'platform/captains' beds for my two daughters and did not use a box spring. We replaced the first mattress at 14 years (but they were always jumping on it), and 6 years latter, the replacement is fine. My youngest daughter has had the same mattress for 17 years, and it's currently fine as a fiddle. You don't need a box spring as long as you buy a quality mattress and keep your two hooligan daughters from playing 'monkies on the bed' every night for 3 or 4 years.

Both beds have book cases incorporated in headboards. The first one has drawers with false fronts on the other side so that the drawers could be used if other side is against the wall. The second one, I omitted the drawers and had 1 large drop down door. It was great for toy storage and hiding from your sister and parents.

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

I like the storage under platform beds, but LOML and I are partial to 4 posters. The bed is on my long list o projects, but it's a ways off. A few huge pieces of furniture away. I hope to build an under bed cabinet like that though....
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...