• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Designing a computer desk : any tips?

I have some mahagony lying around I am itching to use, and LOML wants a 'nice' table for her desktop computer/LCD-monitor. So I am looking for any generic (or specific) design tips you might have for me.

We both want the table to be fairly small, around 42" wide and 24" deep. I want to keep the CPU under the table, enclosed within a narrow cabinet with door, maybe movable on drawer slides. I measured for our height and sitting postures (she will use it more than me), and felt the table-top should be around 30" high, and the keyboard at 26" above the ground. The 'well' under the table (space for sitting) would be around 30" wide, allowing for the keyboard and the mouse on the same platform. I want to keep the top clear of stuff, so may not build any hutch.

I am hoping to find some good cable management ideas to keep visible cables to a minimum, but easy to access. Power-strip might need to be mounted underneath.

The first problem I want to tackle is : keyboard slides. All the slide-out keyboards I have encountered have too-smooth slides, so the keyboard is never firmly in one place, keeps moving in and out while I'm using it. If I can't find a style that allows the user to 'lock' the slides in-position, I might eliminate the slides and keep the keyboard permanently inside the keyboard 'drawer'; might be cumbersome, though.

So, any thoughts on my thoughts, or in general?

Thanks in advance...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

When it comes to technology furniture, I learned to think future a few years ago. I made a nice desk for a desktop in '97 that was the corner style with a wing table. Very convenient and helpful. In 2000 I bought a lap top that was more powerful than I would have thought. I used my DT less and less.

Now I have three lap tops, do a fair amount of graphics on them - in addition to movies & music.

I gave the desk away because it became evident that I don't need such a large desk system. For future purposes, I will not be going back to a DeskTop system. I use a much smaller desk now than when I had the DT system with external HDs, External burners, large scanners etc.

. . . THE POINT - designing and making a desk for large Desk Top systems that are getting smaller and smaller may deserve some thinking.

I also started a design in my mind for a large 34 to 36 inch TV center about 7 or 8 years ago. Because I was in Japan, which was/is ahead of the technology schedule of the US, I decided there was no need to build a 24 to 26 inch deep TV / AV center when 95% of all TVs by 2010 will be flat screen. What will we do with the big AV centers in 10 years? Do I want to waste wood on something that is soon to be outdated.

IF I did build another Computer Desk or AV center, I would make sure there was some multipurpose to its design.
    Last edited by leehljp; 03-17-2008, 10:09 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• AAJIII
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • WANAQUE, NJ, USA.
      • Steel City 10" table saw

Accu ride makes a keyboard slide that locks in the closed and open position. It does it with pressure so there are no buttons/levers to push.
      Accuride # 2109 and they come in legenths from 12" to 22".

I also make my own keyboards.

AL
      AL JEWELL

Comment

• rnelson0
        Established Member
        • Feb 2008
        • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
        • Firestorm FS2500TS

The desk I'm currently sitting at is a BeStar. I've also looked at Bush desks. I would suggest looking through their catalogs for ideas and sizes. The standard depths and heights of desks will help you a lot. Also remember to design ergonomically, no use in building something that will create a hump on your back for you.

I would go with a modular desk design. The desk itself only needs to be four boards - two sides, a top, and a back that goes maybe 60-75% of the way back (not all the way against the back). A file cabinet will need to be an inch or so smaller than the desk and can slide under the sides or middle. You could even add some camlocks or something to make it like the pre-fab desks and attach it to the desktop. The advantage to the modular system is that you can add a wing, make it a U-shape, whatever, and not only can you move the cabinet around, but it is a LOT easier to move a desk that doesn't have a heavy filing cabinet built into it You can still use hardwoods and nice hardware and have everything look like a single desk.

I'm partial to a U- or L-shaped desk with lots of legroom underneath, though. If you like Double Pedestal desks, then modular may not work or be as easy.

You also have to decide if it's going to be against a wall, out in the open, allow someone to sit opposite and slide their legs under, etc. You can build the back to be full height, 75% height so your feet can be seen, or through in the middle.

You've got a ton of options and I'd look at desk catalogs to find out what you need. Just because most are built of particle board doesn't mean the designs aren't good, either!

Bush Desks - http://www.bush-furniture-online.com/
        BeStar - http://www.furniturebuzz.com/bestar.htm

Comment

• rcp612
          Established Member
          • May 2005
          • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
          • Bosch 4100-09

Check this out. http://www.charm.net/~jriley/woodware.html
          He offers "free" plans that can be re-designed to your needs.
          He does ask for a $10.00 donation which I'm making since I've been working on my re-design for a long, long time now.
          Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

Try this Its Finally Finished

Bruce
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

A few things to consider:
              Feet flat on the floor and butt firmly in the chair, little pressure on the thighs
              Arms at your sides and forearms parallel to floor, fingers curled to type and keyboard just at the finger tips.
              Head tilting down at a 15 deg angle with eyes centered viewing the center of the screen.

Now, is there enough room for the legs to fit under the keyboard drawer?
              Does the chair need to fit into the knee hole when not in use? If so, then the knee hole must be wide enough for the chair and if the chair has arms the keyboard drawer may need to be narrow enough to fit between them.

You will need plenty of air circulation for the CPU and an easy way to get to the cables on the back without pulling it out and having the cables be pulled short. You will also need room for the UPS or surge arrester, cable modem or whatever is needed to connect to the internet. Plus a place for the printer and scanner. If any work is going to be done at this desk, a place to put that work. Filing cabinet or a filing drawer. And you will need a drawer for the other stuff that accumulates, like pencils, tape and the like.

If your design works you may be able to sell the plans! Good Luck

Bill

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Great! Lotsa good information! Thanks everybody - now to digest all that...!

Bruce, dunno how I missed seeing your table when you posted it - that's an awesome table! I'm not sure mine would be anywhere comparable...

Bill, thanks too for the solid pointers. Lemme make sure they apply to my measurements...

I found this modernistic table at http://www.milk.dk that makes for good viewing, though not sure I'd be able to achieve that in shop... (it's a screen shot, to get more details you need to visit the site):
                Attached Files
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• skipwill
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Columbia, SC, USA.

I am going to blatently copy this design

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...ns-Workcenter/

I like the general design, but I looked at it in the store, and I can darn well make it better<g>.....there is a matching bookcase and file cabinet that I am going to do as well when i get a round tuit.
                  Skip
                  www.ShopFileR.com

Comment

• rnelson0
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                    • Firestorm FS2500TS

I like the general design, but I looked at it in the store, and I can darn well make it better
                    My biggest beef with desks like that is asymmetry. If you plop your monitor in the center, you're offset. I wouldn't mind them so much if they extended to the left and had a drawer over there. I know you could put the monitor on the left, but the cable pull is in the center and that's kind of ugly sitting out on its own.

Comment

• drumpriest
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                      • Powermatic PM 2000

A while ago I built this one...

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...light=computer

It's a fairly standard pedestool desk, but with a keyboard drawer using the accuride keyboard slide, and 2 shelves that slide out. One each for my scanner and printe. This means that I don't have to house them atop the desk, nor do I have to clean them.

I have further added a monitor riser with an american DJ power center that allows me to power up accessories as needed. For me this helps as I have studio monitors on it, video capture devices, and external hard drives.

My biggest challenge was to get the heights correct. I designed around a comfortable typing height for the keyboard drawer, then got the top of the desk perfect for writing. The pull out writing surfaces are a happy medium. So far this desk has been very useful and comfortable for me.

25" to the top of the keyboard drawer, making 26.5" to top of my keyboard.
                      29" to the writting surface
                      31.5" to the top

I also found it important to make the drawer large enough for the mouse and the keyboard, as I really like them on the same plane. I write code for 7-16 hours a day depending upon the state of a project, and it was pretty important to me that this desk be really comfy doing that.
                      Keith Z. Leonard
                      Go Steelers!

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

That's a fantastic desk, Keith! Awesome use of contrasting wood!

And thanks for the measurements - sure helps me in my thinking, particularly knowing exactly from point to point.

What is the width of the keyboard, and the table overall?

And what is that 'glide tape' you got from rockler (for the writing surfaces)?
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• drumpriest
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                          • Powermatic PM 2000

Thanks radhak! The keyboard drawer is 32" wide, though I could have gotten away with 30". The top is 27"x69" Just worked for the reveals that I thought looked good. The pedestals are 17"x24.5". I redid the top, the story is here...

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ght=hunt+table

The glide tape is here

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...e&cookietest=1

Helped to smooth out the action.

I have a mortise and tenon frame that runs between the pedestals and supports the top. The top is held down with figure 8s and the center frame is bolted to the pedestals. I've moved this thing once already, it's very nice as you can take it apart into 4 sections (top, left, right, frame) and it becomes easily mobile.
                          Keith Z. Leonard
                          Go Steelers!

Comment

• radhak
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Miramar, FL
                            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks Keith.

Where'd you get your plan / design? The idea of taking the table apart for moving seems great, and I might want to copy it .
                            - Aristotle

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

I just made up the plan. I did tour some higher end furniture stores around here looking for cool desk ideas. That's where I got the slide out printer idea, and I took some proportion measurements, then went home and made stuff up. I also have a computer model of the desk that I made before I cut up any wood.
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...