• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Bean bag toss games?

My kids played a bean bag toss game at a tailgate party and said it was fun. They requested that I make one, too. Is this just an ordinary board w/ a hole (what diameter) cut into it, or is there more to it than that?
  • bradley_osu
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2006
    • Columbus, OH
    • None yet :(

The game is cornhole...

This should tell you all you need to know about it: http://www.playcornhole.org/

Complete with official dimensions for boards.

It's an Ohio thing, don't feel bad that you didn't know what it was

Comment

• Thalermade
      • Dec 2002
      • Ohio
      • BT 3000

If is the game I am thinking of: Yes there is more to it. The game in the Cincinnati area is known as cornhole.

Here is an official site where you can get the official measurements for the boards.
      http://www.playcornhole.org/
      (there had been two groups competing to be the official governing body of cornhole.

Here is one of many website where folks make and sell the games.
      http://cornhole.com/index.htm

Have fun,
      Russ

Comment

• scmhogg
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
        • BT3000

When I was a kid, we had bean bag toss at a local park. It was a board about 2'x4' with five or six holes of various sizes. The big hole in the middle was less points than the smaller holes with varying values determined by their size. You threw three bags and added your total. Improves coordination and math skills.

Steve
        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• dealweb
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2006

Good ol'e Cornhole.

I built my playing surface from 2x4s and 1/2 a sheet of plywood using the dimensions from http://www.playcornhole.org/

Got the bags from eBay.

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Here is my set and a Cleveland Browns set I made for someone else. You can see the legs in the Browns set.

I made a little money making these last year, as the game finally hit the Toledo area. I may make more this year, but I am NOT doing any more custom paint jobs, that was a killer. Building the boards themselves takes no time at all.

It helps that my mom and MIL are both seamstresses, so they made the bags for me.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.
            Attached Files
            Joe

Comment

• Wood_workur
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Ohio
              • Ryobi bt3100-1

I've built (and sold) a fair number. I use 2.5 2x4's for each, and 2 sheets of 3/8" sanded birch 2'x4' ply from HD (will use full sheets if I get a circular saw). Its a simple 2' by 4' frame that the ply goes onto, and on the ply, there is a 6" diameter hole, the top of the hole is centered across the short distance, and it is 6" from the top, or 9" to the center of the hole. I make mine with retractable legs, and I did the trig, and they are 11 5/8" long with a 80 degree cut that rests on the bottom. The top has a hole drilled for a 1/4" galvanized bolt with fender washers between the frame and the leg, and a lock washer on the inside (stand washers under the lock washer and the head of the bolt) the top is also rounded around, so it is a half circle that can be rotated into place. The hole is 1.75" from the top, and centered the short way. I think I have pics of this I can dig up.

edit: pics!
              its not the smoothest round over, just enough that it can rotate, but its not gonna flop around.

I finish them with thinned poly, all over, especially on the feet bottoms. I sand the top smooth (0000 steel wool on a wooden block or synthetic pads if you want) and then throw a final coat on to get it to just the right texture.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Wood_workur; 03-12-2008, 07:34 PM.
              Alex

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Alex, just make your life easier and buy a full sheet and let HD cut them down. That's what I do. It's a lot cheaper to do it that way.
                Joe

Comment

• Wood_workur
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Ohio
                  • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                  Alex, just make your life easier and buy a full sheet and let HD cut them down. That's what I do. It's a lot cheaper to do it that way.
                  they have this thing at my HD where they use a sharpie mark on the saw to roughly align the board.... I'm not to keen on that kind of accuracy. (my grandpa asked to have a sheet ripped to 23 7/8" and the guy was like "we don't do accurate cuts... its just so you can get it in your car")

and at mere $6 a board, I'd be saving no more than $5 a set... not that much really.
                  Alex

Comment

Working...