• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Has Anyone Ever Tried This

I'v been thinking about building some jewelry boxed and would like to add some Greene & Greene touched, such as square pegs.

Instead of using real Ebony, I came across this Minwax stain in black to ebonize the pegs. It seems easier than using India Ink (I think).

Anyone ever used this product. See attached photo.

Thanks,

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 12-01-2008, 06:21 PM.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

I think it may depend on what wood you start with. I recently used the minwax black oil based stain on a table I made (you can see the results in the finished projects section).

I pretreated the stock (Poplar) and gave it 4 coats but although the end finsih is nice its not BLACK, more of a dark brown. The end grain is much darker but probably still not ebony black.

If its only for small items such as pegs you may be bale to get better results by letting the wood just soak in the stain or use ink or dye.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
      I'v been thinking about building some jewelry boxed and would like to add some Greene & Greene touched, such as square pegs.

Instead of using real Ebony, I came across this Minwax stain in black to ebonize the pegs. It seems easier than using India Ink (I think).

Anyone ever used this product. See attached photo.

Thanks,

Bruce

No, can't say I've used that product. But, for most black type stains (especially oil base), allowing each application to fully dry and then re-applying may get the brownish tint to disappear. I use an alcohol (methanol) based aniline dye. Available as a powder, it can be mixed to any strength. They won't raise grain like waterbased dyes. Depending on the specie of wood, you may have to use more than one application. It is referred to with some brands as "lampblack".

You might experiment with a sample, and do a quick wash coat with dewaxed shellac. Then mist with black enamel rattle can. Or, just try the spray and see if you can retain any of the grain. I've used "Rit" dye which you can get in grocery stores. I've mixed it in water, but, it may dissolve in alcohol as well. There is quite a bit of selection of colors, including black.

Comment

Working...