Marquetry Questions

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • 10627
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #1

    Marquetry Questions

    I have some 12"x12" MDF cutoffs that I am thinking of veneering. I had an idea for a Mother's Day gift to take profiles of my daughters (like the construction paper shadow ones we did as kids) and do the profiles in marquetry. More interesting than just a veneer but simple enough that I think I can do it.

    Will an Xacto type blade cut veneer or do I need something tougher? Is it more or less tape the paper pattern to the veneer, then cut along it with a knife? What is the best way to get a nice tight fit on the cut veneer?
    David

    The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • 15216
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

    #2
    An X-acto knife works very well. The first few passes make lightly so not to follow the grain. Also, try to hold the knife in the same vertical position for each pass.

    If you are to fit the pattern to a full piece, cut both pieces at the same time. When gluing them down, tape together first.
    .

    Comment

    Working...