X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

Countertop question

I just built a small bench (24.5"x82.5"x32"H) with doors and drawers for storage and organization of my wine making area. I have it temporarily topped with a scrap of 3/4" CDX that is 28" deep front to back. I did not feel like putting a toekick on it so I am letting the countertop hang over about 4". It also comes out to a better size for the work I am going to be doing on top of it. The question lies with, what would you guys suggest to do for a homemade countertop? If just 24" front to back would have worked for my use I would have just picked up a cheap laminate countertop from one of the box stores for $50, but I need something larger. I was wanting a dark finish and the two options that popped out to me were MDF with 'mica or MDF with some sort of enamel paint. I was going to trim out the edges with the same material as the faceframe. As always, the cheaper the better.

The cabinet is built out of BC pine plywood with a whitewood face frame and drawer fronts. It is in a basement and I am really not too concerned about looks, but it turned out better than I thought it would and I am impressed. I can post pics if anyone is interested.
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I say cover it in formica. it's easy to apply, it's durable, and it looks good.

I've put it right on 3/4 CDX with no issue.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• jonmulzer
      • Dec 2007
      • Indianapolis, IN

I was actually going to top it off with MDF anyway to get me to 1 1/2" thickness anyway. I wonder where I can get Formica in my area? Are there any paints or other coatings that would not be prone to staining?
      "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by jonmulzer
        I wonder where I can get Formica in my area?

My psychic abilities are on the weak side this morning. I'm not getting a reading.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

There are some really neat epoxy coatings, but they're not exactly cheap. A client is doing a remodel using some of these coatings on a garage workbench. The builder had told me it was running about $90 a gallon for the product she wanted.

There's a dealer locator on Formica's website link
          *edit*It looks like the Homedepot's and Lowes around me gan get it.

Wilsonart does some nice laminates too. http://www.countertop.com/
          Last edited by pelligrini; 03-05-2008, 01:03 PM.
          Erik

Comment

• jonmulzer
            • Dec 2007
            • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by cabinetman
            My psychic abilities are on the weak side this morning. I'm not getting a reading.
            Good call. I did not realize I had not listed my location. I checked Formica's website (I am sick, I missed the obvious, maybe the head congestion is going farther north than I thought? hehe) and my local Lowe's carries it. I have never ordered it before though, about how much does it usually run? I am having no luck finding it on their website.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Wilsonart dealers:

Plastic Top
              1302 West Troy Ave.
              Indianapolis , IN 46225
              317-786-4367

Hawkins Cabinet Co.
              2125 South Keystone Ave.
              Indianapolis , IN 46203
              317-786-4369

Steward-Boarman Kitchens
              1627 Oliver Ave.
              Indianapolis , IN 46221
              317-687-7749

Menards - Indianapolis South
              7140 S. Emerson Avenue
              Indianapolis , IN 46237
              317-885-7900

Limpus Cabinets
              8606 E Washington Street
              Indianapolis , IN 46219
              317-897-0373

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I stopped in at a small cab shop about a month ago when he had a sign out for laminate pieces on sale. We stopped in and some of his 'pieces' were half sheets. Now, I can't speak to the pricing since we didn't come across anything suiting our needs but you just might hit on a shop that needs to get rid of an odd, dark color. Just a thought.
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• jonmulzer
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Indianapolis, IN

I will have to look into that as soon as my head cold/sinus infection has run its course.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

Have you thought of floor tile? It makes a very durable top and is not difficult to install. You can install it over a 3/4 plywood substrate although adding a layer of concrete board (1/2 inch) would make it less likely to crack if somebody sits on it. Cost starts at not much over $1/ft2.

Jim

Comment

• jonmulzer
                      • Dec 2007
                      • Indianapolis, IN

Actually, that thought did cross my mind today. Might be a bit fancy for my whitewood faceframe and BC plywood carcass though.

Comment

• ironhat
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by JimD
                        Have you thought of floor tile? It makes a very durable top and is not difficult to install. You can install it over a 3/4 plywood substrate although adding a layer of concrete board (1/2 inch) would make it less likely to crack if somebody sits on it. Cost starts at not much over $1/ft2.

Jim
                        Wow, Jim, that's a solid idea for this application! Inexpensive, durable and easy to apply. Solid solution for you, Jon. Let us know what you decide.
                        Blessings,
                        Chiz

Comment

Working...