Framing Pictures- Any Tips, Particularly The Glass Stuff?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gator95
    Established Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Atlanta GA
    • Ridgid 3660

Framing Pictures- Any Tips, Particularly The Glass Stuff?

LOML want some posters framed. Seems like the wood part is pretty easy using pre-made millwork, a miter saw, and 90-degree clamps. Maybe a router if there isn't already a rabbet on the inside edge for the glass and mat.

Never did any work with glass- anyone got any tips/feedback or ideas of where to go? Is this going to be a huge PITA to secure the glass in the frame?

Don't want to buy $100 worth of specialty tools to avoid my wife spending $50 on a picture frame with glass at Michels or other craft store.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Sounds as though you're only planning to build one frame, so I'm not sure how to respond. You can work as hard as you want, or just go to WalMart and buy a frame, or even a framed print, which would give you your mat, too. If you are determined to build it yourself, matting materials are available at any art supply store. You can use millwork from HD or other, but you will have to put a rabbet in it. You can get glass cut to size at any Lowes or HD. Normally, framing points are sunk into the frame to contain the glass, mat, art, and backing material. However, you cant buy a dozen framing points, so any small nail can be substituted with acceptable results. Hanger kits are available everywhere. Make sure you get one rated for the weight of the finished hanging.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

Gator,

Easy stuff.

Glass first, picture, mat, illustration board (same as mat, but not cutout) use a stapler sideways to hold the entire contents to frame. That is, you shoot a staple into the rabbit while presisng down the picture and mat stuff.

A nice touch is to add a dust mat to the back of the framed picture. You can do this with double stick tape and your choice of colored kraft paper.

Add two hangers, some wire crossing to each hanger and instant framed picture.

There are web sites that will sell you either prefinished stock to cut for frames or read made frames. Your choice.

Best,

Bruce
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• RAV2
        Established Member
        • Aug 2007
        • Massachusetts

Anyone ever use the HF tab gun?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91251

Don't see refills sold here ???

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by RAV2
          Anyone ever use the HF tab gun?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91251

Don't see refills sold here ???
          Not really needed. A stapler, as Cman said, will do the job, as long as you're not aiming for archival quality.

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

You might consider non-reflective glass. regular window glass will work, but depending on the room lighting, the glare might drive you nuts.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

Lottsa choices ... OR ....

I've made numerous frames from plain stock where I created the molding with a router, from preformed molding stock and most things in between ... if you choose to go that route ... be sure you MEASURE TWICE and then measure twice more (or you will have several unused frames as I do ). Also, realize that the size of the "picture" or mat is where you want the rabbet to wind up ... not the outside corners of the frame (again contributing to those as yet unused frames I have) ... also realize that the width of the frame stock matters when it comes to measuring things ... start with the dimension of your finished piece (mat or picture) and then figure everything else from there.

OR .. as suggested buy a frame already made ...

OR ... check this site out for a zillion different frame choices that you specify the size of the finished piece and they cut the frame pieces for you and supply joinery parts ...

http://www.framing4yourself.com/pict...ames/index.htm
              "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas
              => Bade's Personal Web Log
              => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                Veteran Member
                • May 2003
                • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                • BT3100

Hey Doc,

How dare you call me C-man , Yer can't mix me up with some overaged ex- SF grunt

Besides, I'm way better looking than him.

Bruce
                "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...