Inlay help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 182much
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008
    • 92
    • Norco, CA

    #1

    Inlay help

    Hello all:
    I started an inlay project where I made the templates for the "hole" and the "plug".
    Now 3 or 4 pieces later the "plugs" are a touch small (1/32 or less).
    I first made the template out of 1/4" masonite, (which I sat aside for backup)then copied that onto 3/8 plywwod.
    I have probably 10 to 15 hours making the templates and several of the 1/8 bits were used making these( got in a hurry and was cutting to deep).
    All the holes have been done on the few remaining that I have to do.
    I tried masking tape on the bushing, but that didnt stick to well
    Any ideas on how to make the plugs a little bigger?
    Thanks Mel
    Last edited by 182much; 02-22-2008, 01:36 PM. Reason: forgot
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • 3338
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

    #2
    Hi Mel, I typically don't use patterns for inlay, but I get the gist, you are using an inlay set from somewhere, right? Sounds to me like it's a size of collar problem. You first rout the inlay channel, then remove a piece of the collar, then rout the outline of the piece to be inlayed. If you install a collar onto your router that is smaller than the one in the inlay kit, the inlay piece will be larger by the difference in diameter of the collars.

    Does this make sense?
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

    Comment

    • 182much
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2008
      • 92
      • Norco, CA

      #3
      inlay help

      Thanks for the reply,
      I have done all that.
      The first couple of the projects (pictures here..... http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/i82much55/....) turned out really good, but when I work on the next one the templates seen a tad small.
      What I'm trying now, is too add doulble sided tape on the template and leave the plastic tape on so the bearing doesnt stick.
      So far it helped a little but still not right.
      I'm thinking that the tape compresses a little when up againt the bearing, so I'll add another layer of tape.
      I wont mind doing a little sanding to get a good fit
      Thanks again Mel

      Comment

      Working...