• Show
Clear All
  • bluzcat
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2003
    • Gosport, IN, USA.
    • BT-3100 & Jet Cabinet Saw

Hickory or White Oak?

Last summer I bought about 125 bd/ft of rough sawn "hickory" from a small local sawyer. I went there to get maple and cherry and the hickory was a good price so I got some of that as well. I'm just now starting to prep some of this hickory and it sure looks like white oak. Some of the pieces have medullary rays (or fleks). Is this common in hickory? I've never worked with either before so I'm not 100% what I've got! I'm at work right now. When I get home I'll take a pic and try to post it.
    \"He who dies with the most clamps, WINS!\"
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've worked with a fair amount of WO, but only a little hickory. The pieces I've seen don't resemble WO enough to get them confused, but I've only been exposed to a few boards. Also, hickory is noticeably heavier per bd/ft.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• MilDoc

Some, but not all, species (= 15) of hickory can have pronounced medullary rays. It's a very hard wood that is hard on cutting tools and is prone to tear out and chipping, more so than white oak.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I have never worked with hickory but my local dealer had some for awhile. It had quite pronounced color differences that did not seem to be sap versus heartwood. The darker color was almost like walnut, the lighter color was more like oak. I did not look at it close enough to see the pores. I didn't care for the large color variation but for the right project it could look nice.

Jim

Comment

• Lee4847
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Canton, Oh
          • BT3100

Hickory = HARD on Tools

I processed and made cabinet doors/drawer fronts and rail and stiles for a kitchen makeover. In all about 100 Bf. I could only get about 20 bf per sharpening of my planer blades. The Dewalt DW735 knives are not known to be of the best stuff but geeze! The hickory is much harder and denser than Oak. It has a similar open grain but a finer grain. The hickory will usually have some dark color streaks through it also.

Lee
          Cut twice.... measure??

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Don't know if its true maybe someone else can shine the light on this topic - Hickory is no longer around, limited to standing dead lumber? I read somewhere that butternut is also going down this path. Has anyone else heard or read this?
            Thanks
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Possible Chop, but not likely. I can lead you to many live stands in N.C. and can get all I want about 13 miles down the road already milled. Are you sure you are not reffering to Elm as that is the case with the blight that hit years ago?

Comment

• MilDoc

According to "The Real Wood Bible" (2005):

"There is no indication that hickory is under threat, and it is very unlikely to be. certified hickory is available."

Easily found around here at dealers, too.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I have several butternuts in my yard. They don't seem to be under any real stress. Wish they were walnuts, better nuts and wood.

Jim

Comment

• bluzcat
                    Forum Newbie
                    • May 2003
                    • Gosport, IN, USA.
                    • BT-3100 & Jet Cabinet Saw

Thanks for all the input. I believe it's hickory. That's what the sawyer said it was. Very heavy wood, tears and splinters easily. Currently, I am gluing up two pieces of the hickory with 1/4" strip of walnut and turning some new handles for my HF lathe chisels. The three that I've finished so far feel and look really nice. I'm thinking about gluing up some bigger pieces and making some new shop mallets.
                    \"He who dies with the most clamps, WINS!\"

Comment

• rja
                      Established Member
                      • Jul 2004
                      • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

chopnhack: An emerald ash borer infestation has been detected in southwest PA. The hickory trees seem to be ok. The ash tree population is more or less doomed because there is no know cure for the emerald ash borer. Here is a link to the local newspaper article:
                      http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07181/798371-85.stm

Comment

Working...