• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

Another Compucarve post

I already posted this image over at Woodnet but there was some interest here, so I'll duplicate. So far I'm pleased with my new gadget and it's already generated 4 new orders. Another 12 and it's paid for itself. I've only got about 6 hours of run time but found the tutorials on the Carvewright site gave me everything I needed to know. I was in the process of doing a challenge coin rack for a retired Marine (I posted about that on here and wound up with a pretty good idea) as I got the Compucarve so offered to add the USMC emblem for another $40. I gave him the test piece to do with as he pleased but wound up with another 4 orders. Of course that was the idea.

So far I'm really impressed with this thing. The coin rack is going to be 4 rows (stair stepped) and a little over 15". The pic is the test piece of what the ends are going to be. The edges will be rounder over and the top corners rounded off.
    This piece is small at just under 6"X6"
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Wow, that is really impressive. It's good to hear there wasn't much of a learning curve. I'm sure you'll have it paid for in no time.
    Joe

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

Fine looking piece there! I have had to turn down several little jobs because I simply did not have the time. With two cnc machines running and another two in the works, it may even open up the door to do some actual woodworking again. I have turned down several chess boards or tables and some other off the wall things people want me to make.
      I foresee plenty of business coming your way. All it takes is word of mouth.
      I see you going for a 4 by 8' router pretty soon.
      Keep posting pictures of the work you do. I really like seeing these.
      Lee

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Nice looking piece. I must have missed the earlier thread but I assume this Compucarve is a CNC machine for wood?

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

That is really cool! Like Skytooner, I'd like to see more of it.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Crash2510
            • Feb 2006
            • North Central Ohio

Originally posted by jackellis
            Nice looking piece. I must have missed the earlier thread but I assume this Compucarve is a CNC machine for wood?
            correct it looks like a planer with a computer controlled router inside

here is a link

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ch+Power+Tools
            Phil In Ohio
            The basement woodworker

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
              • Nov 2004
              • Delta Contractor Saw

Originally posted by Stytooner
              I see you going for a 4 by 8' router pretty soon.
              The only open space in my shop is about 8x8 so I would have to get a realllllly good deal on something before I used it.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

That's very impressive. Did you have to do any sanding to get to where that
                plaque is? FWW magazine did a mini review and posted a picture of one of
                the carvings. The finished carving looked very crude and rough.

On another note, I got a Rockler ad in the mail and the back page had a
                heavier duty looking CNC machine. It seems like you provide your own router.
                It was going for $3K.

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                  • Nov 2004
                  • Delta Contractor Saw

Very little finish work in the carved area. I finally found a use for the Dremmel that I've had fo 10 years and never used before. There are some areas on the slopes that have little fuzzies but a soft wheel on the dremmel takes it right off. Other than that there was no sandpaper used at all but the stock was originally worked with hand planes. I got an order this morning for 3 more plaques so hopefully it will stay operational.

Comment

Working...