Seems like satin poly is tons more popular than gloss.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

Seems like satin poly is tons more popular than gloss.

Why do you prefer satin over gloss? Just curious. If you prefer gloss, same question, why? Thanks.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

CLEAR: Satin or semi-gloss for presenting the beauty of the wood, which is 90% of my woodwork as a hobby.

High gloss shows imperfections in the finish and is very distracting to me. Satin reduces the reflection of surface imperfections that gloss can't, and thereby allows the wood to become the focus of the presentation.

A few times I have seen a truly perfect gloss that allows the wood to show through as well as satin. That kind of gloss is beautiful. But rarely is gloss finished this to this level. When it is, it's because the skill in applying has been raised to an art.

OPAQUE: Generally gloss on furniture and cabinets.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by leehljp; 11-19-2007, 05:12 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Just a personal preference. Don't like high gloss fininshes on most items.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by leehljp
        CLEAR: Satin or semi-gloss for presenting the beauty of the wood, which is 90% of my woodwork as a hobby.

High gloss shows imperfections in the finish and is very distracting to me. Satin reduces the reflection of surface imperfections that gloss can't, and thereby allows the wood to become the focus of the presentation.

A few times I have seen a truly perfect gloss that allows the wood to show through as well as satin. That kind of gloss is beautiful. But rarely is gloss finished this to this level. When it is, it's because the skill in applying has been raised to an art.
        OPAQUE: Generally gloss on furniture and cabinets.

Just my opinion.

Hank, you're just so gosh darn eloquent. Very well said. As the saying goes..."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Who said that anyway?

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
          Hank, you're just so gosh darn eloquent. Very well said. As the saying goes..."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Who said that anyway?
          Probably that Shakespeare guy.

I prefer a gloss finish, but satin is WAAAAAAAAY easier to get looking good.

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• Cheeky
            • Nov 2006
            • westchester cty, new york
            • Ridgid TS2400LS

just came up from the basement, after applying the 2nd coat of Arm-R-Seal satin finish......boy does that stuff rock. my first time using it.

9 times out of 10 i prefer satin finsih, but gloss can look awfully good in some applications (really like it in long, tight grain woods, like modern kitchen cabinets).
            Pete

Comment

• oakchas
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Jefferson City, TN, USA
              • BT3000

I'm all about satin or semi gloss. But I always buy gloss poly and use it diluted with naptha as a wiping poly. That in itself does not reduce the gloss, but fine steelwool or ultrafine scotchbrite does. Thinning the poly fills more grain in oak (my primary wood) and depending on the number of coats will give a truly deep finish, smooth to the touch yet showing the grain. Add a coat of paste wax, sweeeeet.

I don't buy the semi gloss or satin because they contain talc or other additives to reduce the gloss.

Comment

• linear
                • May 2004
                • DeSoto, KS, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by oakchas
                I'm all about satin or semi gloss. But I always buy gloss poly and use it diluted with naptha as a wiping poly. That in itself does not reduce the gloss, but fine steelwool or ultrafine scotchbrite does. Thinning the poly fills more grain in oak (my primary wood) and depending on the number of coats will give a truly deep finish, smooth to the touch yet showing the grain. Add a coat of paste wax, sweeeeet.

I don't buy the semi gloss or satin because they contain talc or other additives to reduce the gloss.
                I agree 110% with this. Use gloss to do your build. Even if you want a satin finish.

Other than the part about oak, This answer describes my work method perfectly. Saving money buy making your own wipe-on is the way to go. The bonus is you get perfect control of the dilution too.

I'll just add that I make my first coat the thinnest, probably about equal parts poly and naphtha. I only make as much as I need today.
                --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Ryan, Obviously satin because it is better. LOL!

Gloss certainly has its applications. I rarely use gloss, but I do happen to be making a curly maple and sapele bookcase which I am spraying gloss as the rest of the furniture in my sisters den is gloss. In all fairness, gloss does really enhance the curly maple.

Cheeky, the first time I used GF Arm-R-Seal I was ready to quit my job and become a salesman for the product. It is that awesome.

Oakchas, have you tried Watcos liquid wax? Man that stuff is really great when applied with steel wool.

Linear, the finishing experts have finally come out and changed their opinion on the gloss build followed by satin. Bob Flexner revised his position and states that based upon his studies building with flat will not obscure the grain or otherwise muddle the clarity. The flattening agents are not additive. I have always used gloss followed by satin in the past but now build straight satin finishes even on really clear stuff like curly maple. I can not tell a difference. I have done side by side comparisons.

Comment

• linear
                    • May 2004
                    • DeSoto, KS, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I just scuff up my gloss finish when I want satin, which is most of the time actually. I also don't go for a huge build most of the time. I have yet to do a table top though.

I'm a big fan of running test pieces. I am always giving a new plan a try on some cutoffs.
                    --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• mschrank
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Hood River, OR, USA.
                      • BT3000

Just personal preference I guess, but I think a satin finish looks more elegant. I lump gloss finishes in with things like polished brass and chrome....kinda dated/tacky/cheap looking. I have similar preference with photos...I always go for a matte finish, never glossy.

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                      Linear, the finishing experts have finally come out and changed their opinion on the gloss build followed by satin. Bob Flexner revised his position and states that based upon his studies building with flat will not obscure the grain or otherwise muddle the clarity. The flattening agents are not additive. I have always used gloss followed by satin in the past but now build straight satin finishes even on really clear stuff like curly maple. I can not tell a difference. I have done side by side comparisons.
                      Not being a finishing expert, I've gone along with the CW on this. I'm glad to hear the "experts" are now saying what I've suspected. I've been frustrated with applying a final coat of satin after two coats of gloss...if you miss an area while spraying the satin, you end up with a glossy patch. Straight satin from here on out.
                      Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I buy gloss water-based poly but usually rub it out with steel wool and wax
                        to get satin or semi-gloss. AFIK, you can't make satin go gloss unless you
                        put a gloss finish on top.

Paul

Comment

• jking
                          • May 2003
                          • Des Moines, IA.
                          • BT3100

My understanding is you can't make satin go gloss at all. If you put gloss over satin, you still end up with satin. The flattening agents in the "undercoat" drive the final finish.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by jking
                            My understanding is you can't make satin go gloss at all. If you put gloss over satin, you still end up with satin. The flattening agents in the "undercoat" drive the final finish.
                            I've read just the opposite in 2 different magazines by Bob Flexner and Jeff
                            Jewitt, although, I haven't tried it myself.

Paul

Comment

Working...