Recently Published Workbench Plans

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RagerXS
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2003
    • 501
    • Brookline, NH, USA.

    #1

    Recently Published Workbench Plans

    One of the woodworking magazines had an innovative workbench project -- the result was more or less traditional but the construction was innovative and looked far simpler than any I'd previously seen. Hard to describe, but all the mortises, tenons, etc. were essentially reduced to rabbets and dados by first cutting these in pieces that make up half the frame members, then glueing up these halves.

    Unfortunately, I've misplaced the issue and don't even recall which mag it was!

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    ~ Fred
  • kmk
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 415
    • .Portland, Oregon
    • BT3100-1

    #2
    Woodsmith? I just purchased the issue since it has a workbench plan (cover story).

    Volume 173.

    http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/173/

    Also let me know if you need plans. I've been working on my WB for weeks now and looked into
    lot of plans. I might be able to scan the pages and mail you..

    Comment

    • affyx
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2007
      • 69
      • Mechanicsburg, PA
      • BT3000 (sold), ShopSmith (bought then sold), BT3100 (just bought on CL)

      #3
      This one maybe? http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...F.aspx?id=2625
      Thanks:
      JC

      LumberJocks: http://lumberjocks.com/affyx

      "I lost my little saw and now I can't cope."

      Comment

      • Slik Geek
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2006
        • 708
        • Lake County, Illinois
        • Ryobi BT-3000

        #4
        This wasn't recently published, but it at least somewhat matches your description. (Perhaps it was re-published recently in a compilation?)

        "Traditional Workbench", Wood magazine, November 2005, pp 36-44. There are additional construction tips earlier in that magazine that you'll want to build this bench.

        All mortices are split on this design. I built a bench using these plans and really enjoyed building it and using it.

        I would post a photo of it... but I'm not quite done with a few finishing touches. I put the bench into service and the "work on the bench" itself gave way to "work on the bench"!

        Comment

        • RagerXS
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2003
          • 501
          • Brookline, NH, USA.

          #5
          I'm thinking it might be the Woodsmith that kmk posted -- I know I have that issue. I seem to recall the one thing I wasn't excited about is how the plans have you chop up a vice when making the tail vice. Now to find it... I'll post back when I locate the issue.

          ~ Fred

          Comment

          • JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • 4187
            • Lexington, SC.

            #6
            FWW also had one made of glued up plywood - had 3x3 or bigger legs but made of multiple layers of 3/4 plywood. Mortise and tenons were made by just putting that piece into the layers. Not very traditional but seemed very practical to me.

            Mine is my version of Norm's design (he called it a worktable). I do not use the wheels much, however. I put a vise on it. My shop is too small for it to go much of anywhere but where it is.

            Jim

            Comment

            • RagerXS
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2003
              • 501
              • Brookline, NH, USA.

              #7
              I cannot seem to locate my copy of Woodsmith volume 173, so if anyone is willing to part with theirs I'm buying. Better yet, maybe we can work out an exchange -- all I need is the workbench article photocopied in good quality, don't really need the entire mag if none of you are willing to part with it.

              ~ Fred

              Comment

              Working...