Since this ISN'T a finished project. . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Duff
    Established Member
    • Apr 2007
    • San Antonio, TX
    • Enco 12" RT

Since this ISN'T a finished project. . .

It's my practice one for making sure I've got the kinks worked out. . .

It hasn't got glass, but I cut the channel for it just to make sure I had the measurements correct. Not going to stain or finish it. I did sand the daylights out of it! And WOW did my 45's turn out nice I've got the measurements down so I can do 3, 4 or 5 rows and allow anywhere from 5-10 coins per row. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ward
    Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Very nice looking Ward. You're right, you really did nail the 45's.
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Nicely done, sir! I'd say finish that puppy and use it, too! What finish do you have planned for the "good" ones?

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• Alex Franke
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Chapel Hill, NC
        • Ryobi BT3100

It looks great!

The last row is a bit different from the others -- is it because you can move/add/remove rows? I don't know if I like the thinner or thicker rows better. It looks like the thinner row makes the gaps on the sides of the coins a little more obvious (or maybe those are slightly smaller coins) but it lets my eye stay on the coins better.

I love the blue -- it feels very formal.

Also, how many fonts and scissors do you really need?
        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• ejs1097
          Established Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

That looks great! You used oak for your prototype?

I'll also throw a vote in to say finish it and hang it on the wall.

I have no suggestions, you did a great job!
          Eric
          Be Kind Online

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

looks cool! really nice miter cuts, i wish i could cut mine like that. did you cut them on the TS or miter saw? if on TS, did you make a miter cut sled or just using the sliding miter on the bt3100 (assuming you have one)?

now that is what a desk should look like. mine is as cluttered as yours. got to show it to wife as proof "of others". (she still won't buy it, but its worth a try)

Comment

• Duff
              Established Member
              • Apr 2007
              • San Antonio, TX
              • Enco 12" RT

My personal favorite for finish is cherry stain followed by two coats of semi-gloss poly.

The bottom row is 1/2" wide vice the 1" for the other two rows. Just screwing around. Since it rests on the bottom, thought it might give an illusion of thicker...didn't work. The blue is what I had onhand from doing friends (plural - 4 in the past 3 months) shadow boxes recently. Gaps are a bit excessive, but I want about 1/8" total between both sides to allow for fitting into the frame. I'm aiming for 10,000 fonts and scissors walk in my house, so I collect them when I can (3 kids).

Yes, I use oak for my prototypes to get better feel of how it will look final. I already glued the edges/joints/corners so no glass as an option for this one

I cut the miters on my table saw using my Incra V27 on my Enco 12" RT table saw. Only on the board here for woodworking, not the saw. As far as the desk goes, thats about half the stuff I had on it in the past month, so you were seeing clean. . . . (share that w/the wife )
              Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.

Comment

• John Hunter
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                John Hunter

Comment

Working...