Will This Work?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • 10627
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #1

    Will This Work?

    For my kitchen bench project, tt will be an L shape around a corner formed by the wall and the fireplace hearth. The long part of the back of the bench will be the kitchen wall and short leg a 25" high kneewall I will build. There will be a box post at the end of the short leg. About 4" above the top of the wall I am putting in in a piece of 6/4 thick poplar with some edge detail to match our existing mantel. I would like it to appear to float.

    On the post side, this is easy .

    the other end the wall is the sticky bit. The wall is paneling. I do not have access to the framing. There is a stud in wall/hearth corner, so what I was thinking was, anchor it to the stud in the corner and brick hearth but that would be all on one side and the other side would not be supported all that well.
    David

    The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • 4187
    • Lexington, SC.

    #2
    I would put a box under the seat and use it for occasionally used kitchen items. Then your seat is supported by the floor. I would also put in an angled back. The wall will not be comfortable.

    Jim

    Comment

    • LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • 6693
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

      #3
      I can't visualize your entire project, but I think I'm following you on the 6/4 poplar. You're saying that at the fireplace end, across its width it will only be supported on one side -- correct?

      If so ... how wide is the piece? The success of this connection will largely depend on that. Also, will this piece be purely decorative, or will it be used as a display shelf (or some other purpose?), and thus need to support more than its own weight?

      Also, how long will this piece be? If it's short and you have a good connection at the post end, you might be able to get by with less at the fireplace end.

      A sketch illustrating the problem, no matter how crude, would really help.
      Larry

      Comment

      • crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • 10627
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

        #4
        There will be a box under the seat.

        Here is a rough sketch. Blue is the poplar, red is the post. The problem is the end on the wall/fireplace. The poplar will span 61". This will support stuff and more than likely kids will be hanging on it. My wife wants a clear span - no balusters but I may just tell her that is not possible given the constraints.

        David

        The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

        Comment

        • LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • 6693
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

          #5
          A 61" span is much too far for even a 6/4 member -- especially one located ~30" off the floor, which is just the right height to invite someone to sit on it. You're going to need either some intermediate supports, or a heavier member that's capable of spanning that far.

          Back to the original question ... could you use a half-column at the wall, detailed to match the post out at the free end? That's usually the most elegant and best-looking solution to problems like these; a single column out there all by its lonesome always looks a little added-on and incomplete. A half-column at the wall would give the knee wall and floating cap something to terminate into and make the whole assembly make more sense.
          Larry

          Comment

          • crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • 10627
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

            #6
            My wife says she doesn't want the half column but I agree with you.

            I will tell her it can't be a clear span and has to have balusters. I think it will look better with them anyway.
            David

            The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

            Comment

            Working...