walnut for exterior use

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • siliconbauhaus
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2006
    • 925
    • hagerstown, md

    #1

    walnut for exterior use

    I make "modern" birdhouses and feeders as a bit of a sideline gig.

    The first feeder I made was a combination of pine and birch ply. I used a dark stain on it from sherwin and it turned out ok but a distinct lack of grain.

    I'm going to make the future ones out of walnut and walnut ply. I'm looking for suggestions for finishing the wood. I'm not sure whether to use oil or a wipe on poly or anything else. The main thing is I want the wood to be as dark as possible while still showing the grain. The other thing is that these obviously are outside and exposed to the weather. I need a solution that wont require maintenance every 3 months or so by the buyer.

    Any suggestions, tips and ideas would be most appreciated.

    Here's a couple of photos of the ones I already built

    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • 4187
    • Lexington, SC.

    #2
    I'm not sure that walnut is a good outdoor wood. It may standup OK but it fades from sunlight. A UV blocking finish may slow this enough for it to work, I don't know. Cherry darkens with sunlight - might be a better choice.

    Oil finishes do not hold up without maintenance. I think a wipe on poly would hold up better and be as easy to apply.

    Jim

    Comment

    • linear
      Senior Member
      • May 2004
      • 612
      • DeSoto, KS, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

      #3
      Penofin has performed exceptionally well on my western cedar back porch. I'd think it would do as well for a bird house.
      --Rob

      sigpic

      Comment

      • Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • 3822
        • York, PA, USA.
        • 22124

        #4
        I can't see any purpose in using walnut for this application. Walnut has very little grain to speak of. Walnut is not a great outdoor application.

        Here is what I would suggest :

        White oak. Great outdoor material, nice wood grain. White oak ply should be much less expensive than Walnut ply. I know you are not using a lot but Walnut ply is not cheap.

        Use lightfast dye to dye wood. This allows grain to show but you can dye the piece completely black if you want to.

        Use marine poly with UV protection to prevent dye from fading.

        Comment

        • Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • 2091
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

          #5
          Walnut is not a good outdoor wood.

          Nice work btw....

          Comment

          • Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • 7091
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

            #6
            Ditto on staying away from the walnut. I'd probably try one with cypress, and finish with spar urethane. A stain could be used pre-urethane if darker color is desired.

            Comment

            • siliconbauhaus
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2006
              • 925
              • hagerstown, md

              #7
              Thanks for all the replies. My main reason why I was looking at walnut was the colour. I was be a bit lazy and hoping I could avoid staining.The white oak idea sounds good so I'll look into that. The cherry might work as well.
              パトリック
              daiku woodworking
              ^deshi^
              neoshed

              Comment

              • Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • 3822
                • York, PA, USA.
                • 22124

                #8
                Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
                Thanks for all the replies. My main reason why I was looking at walnut was the colour. I was be a bit lazy and hoping I could avoid staining.The white oak idea sounds good so I'll look into that. The cherry might work as well.
                Two problems I see with cherry. First, more expensive than white oak. Second, cherrys natural color is not dark like you are looking for. It wouldnt take but a couple months in the sun to get very dark, but it sounds like you want instant bang for the buck as you are selling retail and don't want to be explaining to people that it will get darker over time. 99% of people could care less about that and just want what they want and the want what they want right now! LOL! If you stain the cherry real dark, again like walnut, you have hardly anyfigure in the wood. Third, cherry is not going to hold up in weather anywhere close to white oak.

                Note as far as lazy factor, dying a wood real dark is much easier than staining. No worry about lap lines, etc as they all blend beautifully. You could probably mix up a couple gallon bucket of dye and acutally dip the parts in the dye then assemble the item.

                Comment

                • siliconbauhaus
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 925
                  • hagerstown, md

                  #9
                  Ah ok mate...the dye sounds like a plan. Do you have any recommendations for dye and where to get it ?
                  パトリック
                  daiku woodworking
                  ^deshi^
                  neoshed

                  Comment

                  • Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • 3822
                    • York, PA, USA.
                    • 22124

                    #10
                    Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
                    Ah ok mate...the dye sounds like a plan. Do you have any recommendations for dye and where to get it ?
                    Of course I do! LOL! TransTint is awesome. It is sold by Jeff Jewitt (renowned for finishing knowledge). www.homesteadfinishing.com If you desire small portions, Woodcraft carries the smaller quantities of these items, though the mark up is rough.

                    Remember, you will need to use a UV protectant finish to prevent the dye and/or stain from fading.

                    Comment

                    • siliconbauhaus
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 925
                      • hagerstown, md

                      #11
                      Looking at that site now. Is it possible to spray spar with a hvlp ?
                      パトリック
                      daiku woodworking
                      ^deshi^
                      neoshed

                      Comment

                      • Tom Slick
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2005
                        • 2913
                        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                        • sears BT3 clone

                        #12
                        what about using Ipe/ironwood? it has a dark color and requires no stain or sealer for exterior use. they use it for upper end decks.
                        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

                        Comment

                        • siliconbauhaus
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2006
                          • 925
                          • hagerstown, md

                          #13
                          That might work as well. The problem is trying to find a supplier reasonably near where I live.

                          The platform of the feeder is ply with a lip. I'm not sure if you can get ipe ply so I guess I could edge glue several pieces.
                          パトリック
                          daiku woodworking
                          ^deshi^
                          neoshed

                          Comment

                          • Tom Slick
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2005
                            • 2913
                            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                            • sears BT3 clone

                            #14
                            you could try flooring supplliers and decking material suppliers. it does look better with some type of finish on it.
                            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

                            Comment

                            • siliconbauhaus
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2006
                              • 925
                              • hagerstown, md

                              #15
                              I just found this place....the prices don't seem to bad

                              http://www.ipedepot.com/picelist01.htm
                              パトリック
                              daiku woodworking
                              ^deshi^
                              neoshed

                              Comment

                              Working...