• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Need Some Hinges

I have a tabletop foosball game that my wife wants me to fix. It folds up clamshell-style for storage. The sides are about 1/4" thick. There were two small brass strap-style hinges attached to the top edge but the screws pulled out. One of the hinges was also broken. I repaired the damage to the wood but want replacement hinges that somehow attach to the side rather than the top edge.

Suggestions?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Something like this?

Comment

• mschrank
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2004
      • Hood River, OR, USA.
      • BT3000

IIRC, you asked this same question awhile back. At the time, I looked all over for the hinge you were after but couldn't find it (I was in the market for some specialty hinges myself, so I had a lot of websites bookmarked). I couldn't find it then, but months later I saw it. Didn't let you know because I figured you had already fixed it Problem is, I have no idea where it was now

I'll keep my eyes open again and let you know...
      Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

Soss hinges might work

http://www.soss.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• mschrank
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2004
          • Hood River, OR, USA.
          • BT3000

Horton Brasses, Inc

A few more examples (about half-way down the page)

Are you looking for something like the "H-53" shown above?

Seems the tough part here is the 1/4" sides...are they really that thin? Doesn't give you much "meat" to screw into. This hinge is meant to be mortised in, but that wouldn't work with such thin wood. What material is the wood? Being a foosball table, I'm suspecting particle board or mdf, but maybe ply?
          Last edited by mschrank; 12-18-2008, 02:23 PM.
          Mike

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Mike,

I really did ask this before? I don't remember. It is possible - I get in trouble with LOML for not remembering. A lot.

This is made out of pine.

The H-53 hinge is what I want but not at 24.00/pair. The box-strap hinge is what was on there before. Economics say that is probably what I will have to go with. Now that I know what they are called I will look for some. Ideas for making it stronger? These go into the top edge and that is what ripped out before. I was thinking a few small pieces of hardwood glued to the outside face and the hinges get attached to the hardwood.

Cabinetman and Tom, it has to be something like what Mike posted. This thing hinges in the middle. You can't put those style hinges on it because each half is a 3-sided box. If you put a 4th side on it'd be a boring foosball game.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• pierhogunn
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

can you not add a little more material, like another 1/4" or even 1/2" piece to the outside of the carcass, to expand your options for hinges,
              It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• mschrank
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2004
                • Hood River, OR, USA.
                • BT3000

Originally posted by crokett
                Mike,

I really did ask this before? I don't remember. It is possible - I get in trouble with LOML for not remembering. A lot.
                Yup, a few posts down in an otherwise unrelated thread
                http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ighlight=hinge

Looks like you've been trying to finish this project for over 2 years

I'm not being critical, I have several boxes of project supplies (hinges, drawer pulls, aluminum angle etc etc) that I have piled around the shop for projects I meant to do 2-3 yrs ago!
                Mike

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

David,

I'm sure you're aware of this site, but in case you forgot (I won't tell the wife),
                  http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/index.aspx?c=2

They have just about everything and the prices are still reasonable.

Bruce
                  Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 10-09-2007, 05:39 PM. Reason: Fix typos, still can't type worth a da*n
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...