• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Chemical Exposure

This is a reminder about any and all chemical exposure. This type of shop safety gets skimmed over too frequently. There are some shop situations that cause immediate bad health, like getting poked, cut, crushed, blinded, or mangled.

There are some hazards that aren't so immediate. Some people are more sensitive to certain glues, solvents, paints and finishes, than others. It's not always what is inhaled, but ambient fumes, or what can make contact with the skin. Those warning labels, and the ones with a skull and crossbones are there for a reason.

Extreme care and proper handling with good ventilation helps minimize exposure risks. My case is an extreme one with almost a daily exposure for many years. Some of it I could have prevented by working smarter. Some of the symptoms could include breathing problems, coughing, burning sensation in the eyes or nose. inordinate taste, numbness in the fingers and hands, impaired or blurry vision, neurological disorders of many types, urinary problems including bladder cancer, of which I am a survivor. Any early signs of a health condition should be checked out by your doctor.

The answer to the use of all chemicals is to be aware of their proper use and afford yourself as much protection as possible.
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

Thank you for the reminder. Your advice applies also to dust as well as chemicals. It is very easy to use the excuse "I'm only cutting one board", or, "I'll only put on one quick coat".

I have been keeping dust & paint masks on hand for appropriate use.

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

I always wear a respirator.
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by jking
        Thank you for the reminder. Your advice applies also to dust as well as chemicals. It is very easy to use the excuse "I'm only cutting one board", or, "I'll only put on one quick coat".

I have been keeping dust & paint masks on hand for appropriate use.

Yeah, you're right. The dust subject warrants its own thread.

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

These reminder threads are really a good thing as they act as a wake up slap to the back of the head for the "dumb" people. I say that because anyone who doesn't practice safe working habits around their tools and the related finishes and chemicals associated with woodworking has to be a little on the dumb side. These tools and chemicals that we all work with can easily kill, maim or disable a person either in the blink of an eye or over extended periods of exposure.

Obviously anyone can have an accident and those do happen but harming one's self because they didn't take the time to learn the proper safe way to do something or handle something is inexcusable in my book. Sorry to be so blunt about it but that's just the way I feel about it.

Comment

• djmcheme
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2005

I wish I could remember what I was reading in college (About 10 years ago) but it was an article in an OSHA journal that stated that only 20-25% of people who SAY they are using proper safety equipment during home construction projects really are. I dont remember if that means that people dont understand what equipment is really necessary or they just decide not to use it.

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by djmcheme
              I wish I could remember what I was reading in college (About 10 years ago) but it was an article in an OSHA journal that stated that only 20-25% of people who SAY they are using proper safety equipment during home construction projects really are. I dont remember if that means that people dont understand what equipment is really necessary or they just decide not to use it.

It's probably a combination of both. I personally don't like some restriction on my face when it's 100 degrees outside. Face masks make me sweat. I've got all kinds of excuses. In the beginnings of my work in the early 70's there wasn't a lot of the safety precautions that there has been in recent years. Studies have shown the relationship of chemical and dust exposure that links to serious health problems. There was also the vanity thing about having or being able to afford a dust collection system. There always seemed to be a tool needed to earn a living before a DC was considered.

Maybe if I was a hobbyist, I would have had a lot less exposure and would have taken more of a precaution. Those beginning years were a turmoil of getting the work in and getting it out. Being rushed all the time and being on a budget and being ignorant were my excuses.

After my bout with bladder cancer, I changed to water based finishes, use a respirator, wear a dust mask, gloves, and turn on a dust system. Things to do, a little too late.

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

As a young man I worked as a railroad car mechanic and inspector for Penn Central RR. The shop was little more than a couple of tracks, 20' apart, which both led to concrete jacking pads. Of course, being a young 20'something I thought that these guys wearing long sleeve shirts all day were stupid so I put on a short sleeved one. Well, let me tell ya, after one time of cutting off an overhead rivet with a torch and having all of those sparks and slag funnel right into that short sleeve I never went sleeveless again. In the 'accidental' department, no one knew the dangers of immersing your skin in solvents on a regular basis so the daily first degreasing was a face, neck and hands wash before you got to a sink - no showers available. I often wonder if that's the origin for all of my inexplicable complaints (mostly connenctive tissue failures).
                Last edited by ironhat; 09-06-2007, 03:47 PM. Reason: too many flubs to mention
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• dkhoward
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                  • bt3000

And, based on reports on TV this morning, don't be cooking buttered popcorn in your microwave in your shop. Apparently, the chemical used to mimic butter has bad effects on yoru lungs.
                  Dennis K Howard
                  www.geocities.com/dennishoward
                  "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

Working...