X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

Slippery coating

What is a really slippery coating that can be applied with a brush.
    Reason:
    I have some sliding shelves that are midway in base cabinets. They are wood trays that slide in a wooded groove. Bad part is they are made with a 1/4" plywood tray bottom that is extened past the side to create the 'tongue' and the grain is running the wrong way and causing them to bind.
    I need something that I can paint on there to seal it and also make it slippery. I really didn't want to put drawer slides on these.
    Last edited by Salty; 11-23-2008, 01:21 PM.
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Candle wax. We have some wood drawer slides in various places and I think that's what the builder used.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

Owl poop!

If you don't have an Owl handy, try Slick Strips, great for wood drawer slides. It's 1/32 thick, looks like you have the clearance and may only need it on the bottom side of the drawer bottom edge. I use candle wax as Jack suggested too but with the ply running cross way as you have, the UHMW will keep it from splintering as the outside veneer tears.

Last edited by Ken Massingale; 09-03-2007, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• Salty
        • Feb 2006
        • Akron, Ohio

[QUOTE=Ken Massingale;293833]Owl poop!

If you don't have an Owl handy, try Slick Strips, great for wood drawer slides. It's 1/32 thick, looks like you have the clearance and may only need it on the bottom side of the drawer bottom edge. I use candle wax as Jack suggested too but with the ply running cross way as you have, the UHMW will keep it from splintering as the outside veneer tears.
        [Quote]

Ken, I followed an owl around all afternoon but could not get it to poop in a cup. I'm glad I gave up on that cause the smell may have been too much to take.

The UHMW strips are a good idea. How do they get the adhesive to stick to it? Probably the same stuff that makes teflon stick to the pan! Hehe!

I was thinking again about using drawer slides but that would involve a lot more work. There is just under 1/2" on each side if I take out the slotted piece on each side. I'd probably have to plane down some of the drawer sides to get the KV1805 slides to work. And since the drawers are glued and stapled together, that's more work. Then I'd have to put blocking in the back or buy the rear mounts. I hate those because there is usually just thin plywood in the back to mount them.

Candle wax is looking better all the time.
        Last edited by Salty; 09-03-2007, 09:16 PM.
        Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• gwyneth
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Bayfield Co., WI

Similar to the Slick strips but possibly less expensive is UHMW tape, which several woodworking places sell, including MLCS where the postage is "free" (they disguise it in the prices, but handy if you're only ordering one or two things).

Even better than candle wax or paraffin, IMO, is spray teflon, such as Elmer's Slide All, sold in many hardware stores. One of the uses the company pushes pretty heavily: sticking wood drawers and slides.

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

Slip-it was designed specifically for your problem

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=213
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Paraffin (canning) wax. Cut a piece to any size you like. Millions of uses around a shop.

Comment

• mschrank
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2004
                • Hood River, OR, USA.
                • BT3000

A third vote for candle/paraffin wax. Simple, cheap, works great. Just drip some along the top, slide the drawer in & out a few times to spread it around. The drawer might seem a bit sticky at first, but once it's worked its way into the grain, it'll be smooth as butter.
                Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

Working...